Ford Windstar: How Many Miles Did Yours Last?

I am looking to get an idea of how many miles I can expect to get out of a Windstar before it becomes a money pit. If you own or have owned
one of these vans, please chime in with your experience.
I don't expect a free ride with our eight year old Windstar, but am concerned that maybe this might be the start of being nickel and dimed to death. That's why I"m wondering how the vehicle has performed for others. My Windstar has had regular maintenance: oil changes, transmission fluid changes, etc. Up until recently it was a pretty reliable vehicle. But in the last 3 or 4 months, it's been having multiple problems as outlined below. .
1998 Ford Windstar, 3.8L engine with 145,000 miles - many of those were highway miles. An oxygen sensor was replaced in December per a scan tool reading, but the SES (service engine soon) light still comes on occasionally. The ABS light is on, but that may be due to something that happened when the brakes were serviced. Last week the transmission started to slip a bit when accelarating from a stop. Last fall it was also slowly loosing coolant. Never saw any on the ground, never smelled it, and the mechanic pressure tested the system and never found a leak. Nevertheless, the coolant level would drop. Three months ago the mechanic added some sealer to the cooling system, and since then the coolant level has held steady.
KC wrote:

I don't own one, (a few Aerostars, not a Winstar) but I've worked on a few. Does that count? First off, the trannys do not hold up unless you religiously change the transmission fluid. Remember that you are actually driving a Taurus. The 3.8 also has a bad reputation although a lot of the problems were fixed by the time yours was built. Owning one of these seems to be like buying a lottery ticket. Sometimes you will do okay. On the bright side, I did see one come in a dealership that had 250K+ miles on the original set of spark plugs. And the check engine light came on not because of the plugs but because of a vacuum hose had fallen off. Go figure.
: KC wrote: :> I am looking to get an idea of how many miles I can expect to get out :> of a Windstar before it becomes a money pit. If you own or have owned :> one of these vans, please chime in with your experience.
: I don't own one, (a few Aerostars, not a Winstar) but I've worked on a : few. Does : that count? First off, the trannys do not hold up unless you : religiously change the : transmission fluid. Remember that you are actually driving a Taurus. : The 3.8 also has : a bad reputation although a lot of the problems were fixed by the time : yours was : built. : Owning one of these seems to be like buying a lottery ticket. Sometimes : you will : do okay. On the bright side, I did see one come in a dealership that : had 250K+ : miles on the original set of spark plugs. And the check engine light : came on not because of : the plugs but because of a vacuum hose had fallen off. Go figure.
I owned a 2001 Windstar. That thing depreciated like a rock and at 40,000 miles, started burping transmission fluid. I googled it and found that failing transmissions on it were a class problem that Ford refused to admit. Cost about 3K to fix it according to my googling.
I got rid of it and will never buy another.
b.
Found out the transmission needs to be overhauled for $1700. Wonder how many miles of life that will add?