How Many Miles On Yours?

I was just looking at an Explorer web site and they seemed to think that

170K was a very high mileage Explorer. I'm just curious about how many miles other folks here have on theirs. M '91 XLT has about 195K on it and it still runs great, passes the smog test, and still looks good. My '92 EB (wife's car) has 265K on it. It still looks nice. Some of the buttons don't work right but the leather still looks great. At the moment it is leaking coolant from the side of the engine and has a wierd rattle. I'm getting ready to try to find if the leak is a head gasket or a cracked engine or whatever. It may be time for a new/rebuilt engine. But other than that it made it to 265K! One way or another it will probably be running again soon.
Reply to
Ulysses

98 Sport with 120k
Reply to
Dave Cilluffo
1992 XLT 325,000 still running
Reply to
pthunder89513

My '97 XLT 4dr 4WD manual has 182K and looks virtually new. No known problems now and dang few during its life. Replaced the clutch at170K when the slave cylinder needed work, replaced some bent suspension parts, and had the infamous blend door problem, but basically a trouble-free vehicle and by FAR the most reliable I've ever had. I hope it runs forever! What web site were you on?

=Vic= WA4THR

Reply to
Vic Klein
1991 XLT 179k, everything on it still works. Needs to have the windshield re-glued, only thing holding it on is the trim at the bottom.
Reply to
Janet
91 XLT - 197,000...

Second motor 30K ago...

Still looks nice. The most recent tow truck driver (Oil Pressure sending unit started pissing oil) complimented me on it's condition...

It has not been trouble-free :-(

Rick

Reply to
pray4surf
92 4-door XLT manual, 4x4. Just hit 70,000. Still breaking it in :O)
Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni
235K - 96 Sport. Original engine. 2nd tranny.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Scrutton

Lol... I keep my wife's '92 EB all waxed and Armorall'd so it will look good on the tow truck.

Reply to
Ulysses
1993 Explorer Sport - 196,500 miles

Relatively problem free. RABs, Lower manifold bolts, Fan Clutch, new 4th &

5th gear in manual transmission, leaky clutch slave cylinder. Engine has been bulletproof.
Reply to
Tommy Wood

It was called "Serious Explorations."

Ulysses

Wow.

Reply to
Ulysses

Hey! I just have pride in what I drive. Just cause the vehicle is in it twilight years doesn't mean she can't look good ;-)

Rick - whose biggest auto related peeve are those that can afford the vehicles that I lust after, that don't care for them! Shit, If I had that Carrera, I wouldn't let is go to pot...

Reply to
pray4surf

Our 2000 Sport has the infamous ball bearing motor rattle. has had that for a couple years. We have only 68k miles. We had the AC Compressor replaced under warranty. then the PS pump within a couple months. Then came the free tires. The dealership (Prestige in Dallas) kind of screwed me on that deal. Went in to have Michelins installed and they brought it out with Goodyear's. oh well. Free tires; no complaints here.

everything else is ok so far. knock on wood.

And the best thing. it will be paid for next month. never done that before.

Reply to
Scott Van Nest
95 XLT with 140K. New tranny at 98K, head gasket at 130K. The guy who did my head gasket thought I was nuts at first to do that kinda work on something that old with that many miles. That was until he saw it and said what great condition it's in. I just waxed it for the first time in 5 years...looking good.

Anybody have any idea how to get rust mold(orange spots) off the paint. Tried Bug and tar remover, gas, and compound. This stuff won't budge.

Reply to
Matt Schumacker

That sounds like you might have engine knock. Try running with one grade higher octane gasoline than you have been using and see if the "rattle" goes away. My experience with FoMoCo engines in several vehicles is that they need higher octane gas with age to prevent knock, even with the anti-knock sensors and computers in use these days.

Reply to
Vic Klein
1994 eddie bauer 132000......fantasic shape....4 liter ...
Reply to
THE BIG GUY
1996 XLT - 156,000 and going great (knock on wood). Only major issue was a new trans at 125K. It's long paid for and I intend to drive it into the ground, hopefully at least 5 years from now. Best vehicle I ever owned except for maybe the Alfa Spider with it's very high fun factor.
Reply to
Jonah

Hmmm.... I've been having a rattle off and on (92 4.0 with 265K miles) and it sounds like it's inside the engine but does not seem to increase with engine speed, at least not consistantly. Does this sound like the engine knock you are talking about? I've never heard any sound quite like this on any other car. I stopped driving it because I was afraid I was going to have piston rods coming out of the block.

Reply to
Ulysses

"Matt Schumacker" wrote \ I just waxed it for the

I was neglecting the appearance of my '91 thinking it was just an old car that was falling apart. Now it's looking like it might become a classic so now I even keep the engine clean and Armor All the brake booster etc.

Reply to
Ulysses