Freezing in ohio.....

All, I have a 1989 suzuki swift GLX (wagon) 1.3 SOHC that I just dropped in a rebuilt motor into about a week or two ago and I have no heat.

The engine temperature goes between quarter and half but it blows cold air. All the levers seem to operate the fan, dashboard air directors, and overall the ventilation system seems to operate correctly but no heat.

The engine went in and out as would be expected. I did not change the thermostat since the thermostat was in the intake, for this engine and the thermostat was the "failsafe" lifetime warranteed thermosat from the local part place, plus it was less then a year old. I replaced all hoses and none of them are bent or not allowing fluid to go to the heater core. The heating system worked fine before the engine was put into the car. The engine has been properly timed and tuned. I drive 50

  • miles to work daily (and 50+ back) and the vehicle never produces any heat what so ever. The vehicle has sat for about a year while the engine was being redone.

I also have put new engines in my pontiac lemans import, geo metro and neither of these are great heat producers either. The lemans has a brand new heater core and thermostat to. Did I forget something when I installed these engines?

1) I am thinking about replacing the thermostat, (The one that was in their I believe was a OEM suggested temperature but can't rememeber degree) 2) I have double checked the hose hookups (which go to which) to the heater core to make sure they are correct. (They are) 3) Timing has been checked and its on the money. 3) DO I need to bleed the heater core or something?

Also, when I go to look for a new thermostat is there any advantages, disadvantage to getting a higer degree thermostat? I.E. Why are there higher degree thermostats? Does higher degree thermostats cause the engine to get hotter and/or cause premature wear and tear on the engine?

Any ideas or suggestion would be greatly appreciated,

Have a happy holiday season.

Chris

1989 suzuki swift GLX (wagon) 1.3 SOHC 1991 Geo Metro Hatchback 1.0L 1989 chevy corsica hatch 2.8 L 1988 pontiac lemans import 1.6L
Reply to
Chris Gray

Two possibilities immeadiately come to mind - 1) You did not get all the air out of the system and your heater core is "air locked." Some engines have very extensive bleeding procedures, so you may have to consult a manual to get it right. 2) You don't have the vacuum lines reconnected properly and the temperature blend door is in the cold position and won't move without engine vacuum.

Ed

Chris Gray wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White