Front End Shimmy While Braking on my 2000 Eclipse GS

I researched this and found some answers, but my problem may be a little different. I'm getting a shimmy when applying the brakes. The front rotors I replaced about 17000 highway miles ago(Brembo replacement rotors) and I put in ceramic pads. It's been fine till about a month ago. The rear drum pads have never been replaced. The car has 107000 miles on it. I am going to get the rear drums replaced soon. Could they have anything to do with the problem?

I gather from my research that it could be ball joints,CV joint?,bearings, or warped rotors. What do you all think?

Reply to
antonr01

I'd bet (a tad) the front rotors need trueing. Carefully engage emergency brake to determine if rears are causing the pulsating! HTH, s

Reply to
sdlomi2

I researched this and found some answers, but my problem may be a little different. I'm getting a shimmy when applying the brakes. The front rotors I replaced about 17000 highway miles ago(Brembo replacement rotors) and I put in ceramic pads. It's been fine till about a month ago. The rear drum pads have never been replaced. The car has 107000 miles on it. I am going to get the rear drums replaced soon. Could they have anything to do with the problem?

I gather from my research that it could be ball joints,CV joint?,bearings, or warped rotors. What do you all think?

Reply to
antonr01

Unless you are capable of diagnosing the problem - which most of us aren't, you

can go to a shop that specializes in "under car" repairs (c v joints / brakes) such as you mentioned, and they can tell you what the problem is.

If you don't have one spotted, look in the yellow pages under - cv joint repairs.

mho v=83e

Reply to
fiveiron

Hugo Schmeisser

Although there are many things that might cause your symptom, there is one thing you can do to determine if it is coming from the front or the rear. While driving in an area with no traffic, Hold the parking brake release and at the same time apply the park brake. Do not use the foot brake while doing this. This will apply only the rear drum brakes ,and if the pulsation is felt you know it has to be coming from the rear. If the problem is not present when applying only the rear brakes then it must be coming from the front. Be careful not to lock up the rear brakes while doing this and do not do it long or hard. The parking brake system is not designed to withstand much use as a motion brake.

Later.

Reply to
Kevin