Front End Shimmy

My 2004 F-150 now has a bad shimmy in the front end. It doesn't so much feel like a side-to-side shimmy. It's more like and up and down shimmy. But it only happens when I'm hitting the brakes. Usually between 55 to 35 MPH it'll shimmy the front end with the brakes engaged.

I recently had the wheels (rims and tires) rotated and electronically balanced thinking it was a misbalanced tire. But the problem is still there. I had the brakes redone by Brake Check about a year ago. They had to resurface the rotors and replace the brake pads. They seemed to have done a good job at the time, and that was about a year ago now.

Dr. Phibes

djdave

And the torque is listed in the owners manual. Since I started torquing my lug nuts to the proper torque for the vehicle, I have never had warped rotors. That was 15 years ago that I started.

Reply to
Marlin Singer

Reply to
Dr. Phibes

You can try, but I doubt it. Also if the rear brakes are way out of adjustment it can cause the fronts to work harder, generating more heat which can also warp rotors. I find it a 35-50 mix between the two as the cause, also stuck calipers, froze slides etc.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I have a 04 F150SC and the same thing happened to mine. Take it to the dealer, there is a TSB on exactly that problem. I was in and out in half a day and it cost zero to me. Ford sprung for new calipers and rotors in front and I have had no problems since. There was a problem in the early build out. The new brakes are a little spongy now but stop just fine.

Joe Gee in El Paso

Reply to
Joe G

As already stated, you can try, but it is highly unlikely that they would do anything about it...

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

You need to replace the rotors, not resurface them. And heck, you admitted that was a year ago. My money's on you being a two footed driver also. Am I right?

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

He can try, but it is a TSB, not a recall. being a TSB, once out of warranty, you pay. Unless like in my case you have the extended warranty. However, I don't think that is the problem with his. The TSB is for vibration when the brakes are NOT applied. In my case the caliper was actually gripping the rotor a bit causing heat and vibration. rotor never warped, but did turn a bit blue from the heat.

Reply to
Marlin Singer

Surely you must realize the problem is the brakes. The reason cars shimmy or vibrate at only 35 to 55 mph (practically any car) is that the natural harmonic frequency of the suspension is matched by tire rpm at that speed. Basically any ordinary car with a tire out of balance will vibrate around 45 mph. That doesn't mean, though, that a tire imbalance is the only thing that can put a driving force for vibration into the suspension. So in your case, it's the brakes, and the problem is slight enough that it needs suspension harmonics to help it out.

Reply to
Joe

NO. Single footer.

Reply to
Dr. Phibes

Reply to
djdave

Reply to
BPJ716

Ford knows all about his, look in service bulletins. They replaced both calipers and rotors on mine. Some need rack and pinion replaced on the early models.

Reply to
BPJ716

Ford knows all about his, look in service bulletins. They replaced both calipers and rotors on mine. Some need rack and pinion replaced on the early models.

Reply to
BPJ716

Dr. Phibes,

There is a TSB out for your truck to have the rotors replaced with a new style of rotor. At the time of rotor replacement they also have to replace the calipers due to the change in the rotor. I recommend you take this truck to your dealership and have them verify that the TSB for the updated rotors has been done.

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech