Fuel injector reinstall o-ring lubrication?

Is a very light coat of motor oil or petroleum jelly the most recommended, for reinstallation back in intake manifold and fuel rail?

Reply to
Lance Morgan

gasoline ONLY, oil or PJ will swell the gaskets.

Reply to
MudPuppy1976

That depends. I used gasoline only to try to install the injectors on my

1985 Supra and ended up shearing about half of the VERY expensive O-rings into shreds in the process because of the zero lubrication properties of gasoline. A subsequent fuel pressure test made my fuel system look like my lawn sprinkler system.

After replacing the damaged O-rings, I applied a light coating of motor oil, smoothly installed all the injectors and drove the car for 120,000 more miles without the slightest incident.

YMMV

Dan

Reply to
Dan Bergmen

i guess it depends on the condition of the holes you're squeezing the gaskets into. gasoline indeed has almost nil lubricating property.

i should have said that i was quoting the manual on the fuel injector seals. i recently had to do a starter on a '98 LX470, and you have to pull the intake, fuel rails, and most of that harness to get to the starter.

Reply to
MudPuppy1976

Very light motor oil.

All my manuals state that, and my fuel injection manuals do too. And i have been trained also to do the same.

Dont use silicone, because it will ruin the o2 sensor.

Those O rings on the fuel injectors should be designed to withstand gasoline and oil. The bottom oring is in contact with the stuff all the time and needs to survive that condition the rest of its life. Most cars have two o-rings on the injectors, unless it is the vortec engines on Gms or other very different injection systems. The two o ring design, one is exposed to the cylinder, and the other is just exposed to the fuel line.

Dont read what a japanese manual states, they dont know how to build cars. Go read my nice flame in the domestic vs rice thread. :-)

Reply to
Erik

Easily attributable to poor translation from Japanese to English.

[not to mention] Lubing the O-rings with gasoline implies that there be an open container of gasoline to use during the lubrication process, open container of gasoline violates common sense and shop safety practices.

Shame on Toyota.

If indeed Toyota O-rings swell from being lubed with motor oil, shame on Toyota.

Reply to
Neil Nelson