start problem (87 Landcruiser)

Hi, I have an infrequent starting problem (FJ60 Landcruiser if that makes a difference) that my mechanic can't figure out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It always happened when the engine is hot and usually after driving very rough roads, not always 4WD rough but close. After I stop then engine, it doesn't restart. No click that I can hear. Once I waited a few hours until it cooled down and it restarted. Once I whacked the starter w/ a hammer and it started. The last few times though the hammer didn't work and I didn't have time to wait a few hours. A jump didn't work and I had to roll start it each time that day. (on vacation of course) The next day it was back to normal.

Battery is new. Starter is a few years old. My mechanic, which I've used on this truck for 15 years, says to be sure of fixing the problem he has to reproduce it. It doesn't happen often so not much chance of that.

Please let me know if anyone has ideas, thanks, steve

Reply to
steve mestdagh

I had a vehicle that did that and it turned out to be some electrical wires that had gotten worn and the bare wires got exposed. They were shorting out intermittently.

good luck,

Reply to
vitaeterna