Fuel tank pinhole

I have an old Mercedes and there is a small pinhole on the side of the gas tank. It must be pretty small because it only wets the surrounding area (no dripping). Can I use some epoxy to seal it from the outside?

Reply to
Leon

I'm sure there will be much advice on this problem. First, there may be more holes than you have found so far or this may just be the beginning of the Swiss cheese effect. I've tried various name brand epoxies for these leaks. The one that heald up indefinitely for me was the two part epoxy that you knead in your hand. You clean the area and rough it up a bit. When you apply this product it may not seem like it's really sticking. Keep working with it and paste it on the area. Unlike many epoxies, this type shrinks very slightly and grabs the surface when it cures. If I knew all I had was a pinhole, that's what I'd do. Then I'd watch it for a few weeks and forget about it.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Leon,

Do a Google search on gas tank ReNew" It's a franchise with shops that do the process all over the conutry. Worked great on my '76 Jaguar.

Reply to
Ed

you should be able to get a tube of - sealall - from walmart for abt. 2 bucks that will do the job when used according to instructions.

m h o =A0v =83e

Reply to
fiveiron

get apiece of 3/8" fuel line and split a 1" piece of it lengthwise, run a self tapping screw through it and into the hole. I drove a car for almost 10 years with 4 of these in it. 2 were on the bottom. never leaked. Chip

Reply to
chip