Leaking Petrol tank (Fiat Punto 55SX)

I brought a used Fiat Punto 55 SX (1996) a few days ago. Didn't have much petrol in it so I filled it up, nearly full.

When I got it home It absolutely stank of petrol. I couldn't see whether there was a leak as it was raining and everything was dripping. Today it stopped raining and I noticed that petrol is dripping from the tank.

There is a hole somewhere. Not in the bottom though, as the drips aren't dropping straight down from the tank. They are running along the bottom and then down. So there is either a hole in the side of the tank or in a pipe above the tank and the drops are dripping down.

Does anyone have any idea of where the drops might be coming from as they are running along the bottom of the tank before falling? Also, does anybody know how much a new fuel tank (Roughly) for this model costs?

Thanks in advance,

Cassandra

Reply to
cassandra.flowers

We paid £70 for a Polo fuel tank from a factors the other day. I'd expect fitting to take an hour or two.

Reply to
Doki

have a look under the panel that you get to by lifting the rear seat up. I had the same sypmtoms and it was one of the pipes coming out of the petrol sender unit. If a fuel pipe is pulled, it snaps the plastic on top of the sender unit (it was a hairline fracture so the petrol was coming out as a fine spray). There was a puddle of petrol under the rear seat and the unit needed replacing. £80 inc. VAT from my dealer and I fitted it myself.

Reply to
monkey_with_a_chainsaw