G85 Fuel

"FatterDumber& Happier Moe" wrote in message news:4cb8332a$0$14789$ snipped-for-privacy@news.suddenlink.net...

Speculators usually drive that sort of sharp increase, but there are underlying forces that have attracted the interest of speculators. There is an increased demand for US cotton becasue China is expected to increase imports. The US is not the lowest cost producer of cotton, but we the producing nation with the most cotton available for export. Floods in Pakistan (a supplier of cotton to China) wiped out hundreds of thousands of acres devoted to cotton. So if China needs to import more cotton, they will likely have to get it from the US. Other countries that have the potential for supplying China (say Brazil) may be devoting more acerage to soybeans. While soybeans may ultimately pay less per acre than cotton, soybeans cost much less to raise and are a more dependable crop. So while the ultimate rewards may be higher for cotton, the risks are much lower for soybeans. I don't grow cotton myself, but I do rent out some land to another farmer who does. Over the last 20 years, the rent per acre from the land I rent to the cotton farmer has been better than my profit per acre from corn. If I was not worried about the long term negative effects of constantly planting cotton on the same land, I'd rent everything to the cotton farmer.

If I was in the cotton buisness, I'd be locking in the current high prices. My best guess is that prices will fall steadily once the US cotton harvest really gets going. In my area the cotton harvest is probably half done (this is early). Further south they are just getting started. I think the conditions in most of the cotton belt have been good this year, so I expect a strong crop (although the USDA doesn't).

In my opinion, options and futures on commodities like cotton and corn are another form of gambling that I am bad at. When my Father was alive he almost never contracted his crops (i.e., sold the crop ahead of time for a guaranteed price). I occasionally do so, but the rewards have been small. Last year I made maybe an extra $0.20 per bushel on soybeans becasue I sold them in August for Novemeber deliver. This year, I pre-sold half my soybean crop for $10 a bushel (delivered to the local elevator, the corresponding price in Chicago would be around $10.65). This morning Novemeber soybeans are selling for almost $12 in Chicago (which would translate to around $11.35 locally). Oh well, I never win at Poker either.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

It's called massive money creation at the federal reserve leading to cheap money which has to go somewhere. Sure there are reasons the cheap money goes where it goes, but the root cause is the cheap money that blows the bubbles.

Reply to
Brent

Switch over to LPG fuel. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

High octane does not not mean high energy. A fuel with high octane usually (almost always) has a higher ignition temperature. This means that the high octane fuel burns slower. This works out to higher engine efficiency for large engines. Internal combustion engines use some type of timing device to make sure the valves open and close at the optimal speeds for a cycle. Timing devices in the old days meant fly wheels. Now computers are used in timing devices. Slow burning fuels also produce few partially oxidized by products in large engines. Large engines burn low octane fuels very inefficiently. By large, I mean a volume to power ratio. Most of the fuel is unburned in large engines with low octane fuel. This shortens the life of the engine, since the unoxidized by products gunk up the inside of the engine. The definition of octane has nothing to do with energy. Octane relates to organic chemistry. The hydrocarbon molecules in gasoline are branched. The more branched the molecules, the higher the octane. The higher branched molecules provide less surface area for oxidation than molecules with small number of branches. Therefore, high octane fuels burn slower. High octane fuels have less energy per carbon atom than low octane. Hypothetically, small engines can have better mileage with low octane fuels. Of course, most small engines on sale now do better with medium octane fuel. Low octane fuel isn't always the answer. High octane is often over rated, though. Not all engines require high octane fuels. Read your automobile's manual before deciding what grade of fuel to buy. I have read that there are automobile engines that run very well with ethanol fuel. However, the engine has to be designed to take ethanol fuel. Ethanol fuel can damage engines that aren't designed for it. Very few cars on the market are designed for ethanol fuel.

Reply to
Darwin123

If I had the ground area space, I would grow whatever crop and make my own auto fuel. I do own a half acre of land, but my half acre is a long, long way from where I live.

On the web, How to make your own automobile fuel cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin