2004 EPA Fuel Economy Guide.

Are the EPA Fuel Economy Guides reliable? I know that the large print City/Highway figures are an average range and can vary widely, depending upon optional equipment, such as axle ratios and tire sizes. However, I have always thought that the EPA ratings represented an accurate basis for comparison of one model against another.

In February I bought a 2004 Silverado with a 4.8L V-8, 4-speed automatic transmission and the standard 3.42 axle. The truck actually has more power than I will ever need and I thought that I might be paying for this extra power by buying more gas than a 4.3L V-6 would use. However, according to the 2004 EPA Fuel Economy Guide, this might not be the case. It appears that the 4-speed automatic transmission version of the

4.3L V-6 uses MORE gas than the same configuration of the 4.8L V-8.

Model Trans. Engine MPG Average C1500 Silverado 2WD A-4 ..... 4.3/6 ..... 15/20 17.5 C1500 Silverado 2WD M-5 ..... 4.3/6 ..... 15/21 18.0 C1500 Silverado 2WD A-4 ..... 4.8/8 ..... 17/20 18.5 *** C1500 Silverado 2WD M-5 ..... 4.8/8 ..... 15/20 17.5 C1500 Silverado 2WD A-4 ..... 5.3/8 ..... 16/19 17.5 C1500 Silverado 2WD A-4 ..... 6.0/8 ..... 14/18 16.0

Apparently, the electronic 4-speed transmissions have become so sophisticated that they get nearly the same gas mileage as the 5-speed manuals. In the case of the 4.8L V-8, the 5-speed manual transmission appears to get worse gas mileage than the 4-speed automatic. According to the EPA, my 2004 Silverado with the $745, 4.8L V-8 option and the $1095, electronic 4-speed automatic transmission is the gas mileage champion of the entire 2004 Silverado line. (Of course, I didn't actually pay retail for the truck.)

If these EPA ratings are true, I don't mind paying more for the 4.8L V-8 and 4-speed automatic transmission because I will be getting about half of that money back when I sell the truck. It's also nice to have the extra power available when it is needed. The engine seems to loaf along effortlessly on level terrain and does a minimum of down-shifting on hilly terrain. During highway cruising in 4th gear, the engine doesn't reach 2000 RPM until the truck is going 72 MPH. I have gotten a 16.43 MPG average out of the truck with driving that consists of around 20% highway and 80% city. Considering that I carry a constant 900 pound load, this seems to be in line with the 17/20 EPA rating.

Has anyone else found the EPA Fuel Economy Guides to be reliable?

One-Shot Scot

And you're gonna waste your time worrying over the difference of 1 MPG?

Reply to
Bill

I get 15 in an all city scenario and I've done a little better than 21 on the highway with a 4.8, 5speed, 4WD.

The numbers seem reasonable based on that.

Reply to
scrape

My 2002 2WD 1500, 5.3 auto trans gets 17 to 17.5 during weekly comuting. City driving is right on the EPA estimate of 16. I have gotten as much as 21 during a highway trip from central New York to Cleveland, Ohio. We kept the speed to under 70 mph because of the other vehicles on the trip, but the pickup was loaded with about 700 pounds in the bed.

Reply to
two.dogs