Gallery: Vintage 80s Dashboards.

The article at dvice.com says darkroastedblend.com has a ton more of them.

Reply to
JR

No thanks... I still say the '55 Studebaker Speedster and the original Porsche 911 are tied for most attractive dashboard designs; nothing I've seen yet makes me want to sit behind the wheel quite like those two.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

After 11K miles, I still really like this one, even if other people do not: .

This one was banned by SCOTUS under the cruel and unusual punishment clause: .

No thanks: .

Meh: .

This is Nate's dream car dashboard: .

Reply to
T0m $herman

No thanks? That's freakin' gorgeous! (the upholstery is wrong in that pic, BTW, it should be diamond stitched leather, but that doesn't detract from the beauty of that dashboard. Or the rest of the car for that matter.)

Meh? really?

I sincerely hope that's custom and that Sanrio hasn't gone into the car business.

Just for you :P

Nate Nagel

Google,,, Car dashboards of the 1940s (and 1930s) Some old dashboards are a real treat to look at. Especially the old Art Deco style cars of many years ago with the clear bakelite knobs and doohickys. Art Deco is my favorite style.

Reply to
JR

The article at dvice.com says darkroastedblend.com has a ton

No thanks... I still say the '55 Studebaker Speedster and the original

No thanks? That's freakin' gorgeous! (the upholstery is wrong in that

I sincerely hope that's custom and that Sanrio hasn't gone into the car

I agree, that's why I like the Stude so much... the style is right but at the same time it's still clear, readable and well laid out.

A lot of late 50's and early 60's German dashes have a nice aesthetic too, but the 911 in my mind is more usable than any of them, even if they don't have the cool green-printing-on-glass theme of the earlier ones.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Google,,, Art Deco Cars And

If I was rich, (other than owning a little Island off the wild and wooley West Coast of Ireland) I know what I would buy.

Reply to
JR

Here is a classic from the 1980's: .

Scary thing is that here in 2013, it is still in production, unchanged. But while we no longer have a 55 mph national speed limit or mandated

85 mph maximum speedometer reading, it is still useful as sustained speeds above 55 mph will certainly vibrate something loose (or numb), and if you exceed 85 mph you have just gone over a cliff.
Reply to
T0m $herman