Gas mileage, 1989 Mercury Topaz

I just bought a '89 Mercury Topaz w/102,000 miles. I took it on a 700 mile trip and was surprised that this 4 cylinder car only averaged 22 MPG highway. Is this typical mileage? Thanks Rich

Reply to
Rich

Could be. How fast were you going? Did you accidentially do the whole thing with overdrive turned off? Are your tires half flat? Did you have the windows down and the A/C on while you were driving through the mountains towing a trailer?

Seriously, if it's nothing obvious like that, it's very possible you need a tune up. With 100k miles, it's also possible that something like the rear brakes are dragging a bit causing excessive fuel consumption. Is there anything else broken or worn out on the car?

You either have one thing that's causing the big drop in economy, or a bunch of small things that are adding up to a large drop in economy. (such as dirty air filter, flat tires, the AC on, a park brake that's not releasing all the way, a lockup torque converter that's not, etc.) I would say your car should still be able to pull down about 25-30 mpg on the highway.

Lastly - is the odometer accurate?

Ray

Reply to
Ray

I could be wrong, but I think that car's automatic was only a 3-speed and revved the engine fairly fast on the highway, which doesn't help fuel economy.

With 102K miles, it may be time for a new oxygen sensor, which can boost mileage 10% if the old one is weak.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

According to

, estimates were 22city to 26 hwy, so 22 isn't out of line. A tune up may help and if this carhas a lock up torque converter, maybe it isn't locking (along with the othersuggested possible causes). bb

Reply to
bobby

The automatic was good for about 28mpg highway. It's a 3-speed, no OD. The OD 5-speed was good for about 33mpg highway. Taking into account acquisition cost, operation, maintenance & parts, insurance too, the 5 speed Tempo/Topaz is one of the cheapest cars to own.

Check filters, fuel pressure, brakes, & state of tune. The A/C puts a big load on the 90hp 4 cylinder.

Rob

* * *
Reply to
Trainfan1

Sounds too low. Does engine run smoothly? Any unusual noises indicative of impending failure of a wheel bearing, CV joint, water pump, etc.? Are tire pressure and wheel alignment ok?

Reply to
George Elkins

Does it have fuel injection? If so check the coolant temperature sensor and it's connections.

Reply to
Childfree Scott