gauge backlighting

So I finally got the Ugly Truck reasonably in shape today... got a camper shell off Craigslist, so I had to run a wire to the back of the truck for the third brake light. I had some old gauges that I wanted to install, along with a new trans temp gauge (I quite possibly be doing some towing/somewhat heavy hauling with this truck) so I put those in as well since I was in the groove. Ended up running to the grocery store after I was all done...

I guess sometimes it is worth it to buy the expensive stuff. The oil pressure and vacuum gauges I used were parts store "Sunpro" gauges, and the trans. temp. gauge was VDO (only VDO apparently makes a trans. temp gauge with a chrome bezel and white lettering/pointers.) I even popped for the Auto Meter "bulb condoms" to make the backlighting match the dash. Well the VDO gauge was perfectly legible, the Sunpro gauges... not so much. I'd thought that I was having a hard time seeing them in my old Stude because of the generator, old wiring, whatever... nope, the backlighting in them just sucks, because the new VDO gauge right next to them in the gauge panel is perfectly readable. I'm going to see if I can find some 1816 bulbs (highest MSCD bulbs I could find in that format) to see if it helps, but I may just end up sucking it up and buying more VDO gauges. Grr.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Go LED. Much brighter, cooler and last about forever. I got tired of the burned out button lighting on the radio in my truck and after tearing it apart, I replaced the burned out incandescents with white LEDs.

Parts from

Pete C.

Do they dim down OK or just drop out? I've got the same unit and was thinking about red LEDs. Then maybe doing the dash over the same way.

Reply to
Steve W.

Has anyone found LED "bulbs" that work with indirect gauge lighting? I tried some on the Porsche and they were dimmer than the stock incandescents.

In fact, I've been pretty disappointed in all the LED products I've tried; I bought some LED 1157 bulb "replacement" and they were hopelessly dim from straight on and worse from an angle

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

They dim, but not much. they pretty much stay at full brightness more or less all the time. I have LED's on the Porsche (not the bulb replacements, a full kit replacing the bulbs, "light guides" everything) and they are fantastic in terms of actually being able to *see* the gauges, but dimming is not so good.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I wondered about that as well, but since I never change the dimming level I figured it wouldn't matter anyway. As it turns out, they track the brightness of the rest of the dash incandescents pretty well.

Those are the Digi-Key P/N 160-1734-5-ND White T1 1100MCD LEDs running at about half their rated current with 1K ohm resistors P/N 1.0KEBK-ND.

You might have some issues if you went with a color like red. The buttons and other display areas already have greenish color filters on them since they were designed for the white/amber incandescents. With the white LEDs which lean towards bluish, the radio buttons ended up somewhat blue as you can see in the pictures, which works fine. With red LEDs I'm not sure the results would be pleasing. Easy enough to experiment though.

Reply to
Pete C.

No problem at all on the radio buttons, indeed they are quite bright and I'm running them at about half their rated current.

If you have a situation where the light guides are relying on side output from and incandescent, I'd use surface mount chip LEDs and arrange three of them standing up in a cluster facing outward to get the correct light distribution.

If you're replacing larger bulbs like the 194s then just use the T1 LEDs arranged the same way. All the LED specs are on the Digi-Key site, as well as those for most incandescents, so it's pretty easy to compare the MCD ratings.

Reply to
Pete C.

Not the ones I used. I thought that might be an issue, but it turns out that they track the brightness of the rest of the incandescent dash lighting just fine. The LEDs I used are rated 1100MCD at 20mA, and I'm running them at about half power.

Sounds like those LED kits weren't designed very well.

Reply to
Pete C.

Good to know they will dim. I usually cut the dash lights down a good bit at night. I noticed the 1K dropping resistors. Looks like some more things to play with...

Reply to
Steve W.

That's exactly what I did; I was using 194-format bulbs in the dash of the Porsche and bought some that sound like you describe I think from superbrightleds.com - they *were* red FWIW but the light output was very disappointing.

for my current issue I found some 1816s at my FLAPS on my lunch hour, I'll try those in place of the unlabeled bulbs in the Sunpro gauges (they appear to be 53s or something similar) and see if they provide acceptable lighting after dark.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Followup: the 1816s did improve the lighting, but the design of the Sunpro gauges is simply inferior to the VDO. Now I think the bulbs are roughly comparable (the 1816 draws 4.29W while the 158 used in the VDO gauges draws 3.36W; the bulbs originally in the Sunpro gauges were unmarked but look like a 53 and were pretty dim) but the VDO gauge has an extra reflector behind the bezel to deflect more light onto the face of the gauge, while the Sunpro gauges do not - so when you look at them at an angle (say, when they're mounted in an under dash gauge panel) you see a bright crescent of light at the edge of the gauge but the face still isn't as well illuminated. Plus the 1816 is simply the brightest bulb I could find in that format; the 158 in the VDO gauges could easily be replaced with, say, a 194 or W5W if I needed to make it brighter relative to the dash panel so that I could dim the dash panel to a comfortable level and still have the auxiliary gauges legible.

Lesson learned; next time I'll spend the extra $10-20 a gauge to get the VDO. I figured "hey, it's just an old work truck, cheap gauges will be fine" but sometimes nice stuff really is worth it.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel