getting the right springs

can anyone please help advise me find the right springs for my '69 nova? i talked to a couple springs shops around here, but they were both extremely rude and didn't like me asking questions.

what i am looking for are a set of multileafs for my originally monoleaf car. i have a set of multileafs on right now, and i want to stay multileaf because it's just so much more comfortable than my monoleafs. the reason i want to replace them is because they are already sagging, and if i installed the traction bars now, there would be less than 3" of clearance - the spring sits dead flat when the car is empty. now, why don't i re-arch it you ask? well, the spring shops here (the only ones within reasonable drive) are charging me $78 per spring to rearch them... i figured that at that price, i might as well get new ones. that, and i could probably sell the old ones to someone else.

what i need in this spring, is the ability to clear a

26" tall tire for the track, and enough spring rate to hold weight and hook well. i am also going to be running traction bars with these as mentioned above, so i hope i get enough ground clearance. i figure if i ever step up to 28" tires i can always run a slightly longer shackle to raise it up a little more.

so does anyone have any suggestions/opinions? any sources for springs online?

thanks!

Reply to
Gerard

JimV

Reply to
Gerard

They make them. I'd be worried about the quality of anything that came from JCW (speaking from experience).

Reply to
Jim

Build 'em. If the spring shop guys won't help, they must be independantly wealthy & don't need your business, sound like morons to me. Go find a real spring shop & they will be glad to accomodate you. If your racing, you will benefit from experimentation anyway. Measure your old ones ( length, width, thickness) & write all of it down, go to the spring shop & have them cut new ones the same. It usually wont hurt to re-use the main ply (with the mounting ends) unless they are very hogged up. You can then add or leave out plys until the desired effect is achieved. Good luck.

Reply to
PA-ter