GM Passlock question

I have a 2000 Pontiac Sunfire which is showing signs of a problem with the Passlock Vehicle Theft Deterrent system. The car refused to start for several minutes the other night. I finally ran the auto gear shift from one end to the other, cranked it and it started immediately with no dash problem indicator lights on. The next day I started the car and after a few minutes it lit up the 'service vehicle soon' light and the Passlock light on steady. The next start everything is normal. A couple of questions. Is the gear shift on the automatic tied in with the Passlock system in any way or was it just a fluke it started after I ran it through the gears? I don't have time to take the car in for service right now; if I lock the doors manually; not using the FOB is the Passlock on the ignition switch effectively disabled? Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Mike

The gear shifter does not affect the Passlock system. It also is not affected by the way in which you lock the doors (only the alarm, if equipped, is).

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Thr passlock is tied into the starter and fuel injectors, not the shifter. You have a possible problem with the neutral safety switch (on shifter), or it was just a coincidence. GM has some trouble with the passlock wires on the ignition switch breaking in the mid-late

90's. Don't know if that is your problem, but it was common.

Locking the doors with or without the fob has no effect on passlock. Passlock is thru the key and computer only.

Reply to
Curly