'93 Escort "check coolant level" light on

This has been going on a couple weeks. The car doesn't overheat and the gauge stays within range. Heater seems to be working fine. Replaced the radiator cap with a duplicate 13 pound one but the light still goes on. I noticed after I changed the cap the engine had a tappit noise it didn't have before. Since then I've been afraid to drive it as I'm no mechanic. My late parents bought the car new in late '92 and it's been a fine car and has 92,000 miles on it. I'm not ready to junk the thing because other than that it's been running great.

Reply to
William Brainard