GM Tech II vs. AutoTap and/or OBD-II tools

Other than the fact I can't afford a real Tech II, is there anything I can't do with either AutoTap or some other ODB-II scanner?

I have a 2001 Trans Am. Let's just say it's headed away from stock and computer programming will be in the future. (It currently has Nitrous and does a 12.18 in the quarter.)

It looks like AutoTap and the related tools can be used to monitor the computer in realtime. Other tools like EFILive and LS1Edit can be used to adjust the programming on the computer. At least, this is what it looks like from here. I'm wondering what else a real GM Tech II scanner can do that these can't.

Obviously I have every intention of going where I shouldn't be... and I'm wondering if scouring Ebay for a used Tech II would be worth it or if the aftermarket tools will be good enough.

Reply to
Ray