Harley and Ducati.

Harley Davidson wants to take over Ducati. Ducati builds some very nice motorcycles, with that desmodromic valve system.

Reply to
JR

After all these years you STILL can't figure out how to post a direct link, yet you continue to offer advice?

.

I can usually find what he means without much trouble.

When you're as old as JR you'll get the same deference

Reply to
AMuzi

What makes you think you know my age?

Reply to
.

You managed a proper web link.

Reply to
AMuzi

Unlike JR, I'm not a right-winger, and have accordingly been capable at that and more since birth.

Reply to
.

How ironic is that? Very, I'd say!

Reply to
dsi1

I fear for Ducati. BTW, I couldn't tell the difference between the 1960 Monza and Diana; the Diana had the desmo valves.

Reply to
The Real Bev

I think it's a good thing - if it happens. There so much disrespect on both sides for the other. Being in the same family will smooth thing over.

Reply to
dsi1

So here you are on auto.tech too.

You see the same people verywhere, and this confirms my opinion that there are really only 120 people on Usenet.

As to Harley, they're made in York Pa, not far from here, and they have tours. They're expensive considering most factory tours are free IME, but I'd do it except they're only on weekdays iirc, and I'm only up there on occasional weekends.

Reply to
micky

Perhaps they are all the same person... or bot.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

I destroyed the clutch and eventually gave it to the local Ducati dealer in the hope that at least some parts could be used to give another motorcycle life.

Also skiing. I'm NOTHING if not eclectic!

Back when it was popular, a guy (Icelandic, maybe; certainly Scandinavian) named Timo Salmi was incredibly prolific -- an expert in many fields. Cute as hell -- sort of like a Nordic gnome.

My mom's company used to make high-quality steel tubing for H-D.

Reply to
The Real Bev

I remember him.

I wouldn't know about that.

Maybe I could get a tour of the steel tubing. That would be good if it were on the weekend, great if it were free.

Reply to
micky

images.google.com turns up a lot of pictures. I believe this to be THE Timo Salmi. No reason, except long ago I found a picture of somebody who looked like that labeled as Timo Salmi.

You have to be really thin and not subject to claustrophobia. You also have to be able to go back maybe 20 years in the past :-(

Reply to
The Real Bev

The Ducati has that 90-degree twin. Smoother than a V-twin and narrower than a boxer-twin.

But here is a link to something less expensive than the Ducati:

.

Reply to
PolicySpy

PolicySpy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

point to note, that is a V twin, its just angled differently in the frame. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

PolicySpy writes:

No a 90-degree twin has 90 degrees between the two cylinder lines (as they run outward from the crankshaft) and that makes smoother engine balance. And smoother engine balance allows for higher RPM.

Reply to
PolicySpy

more here:

AMuzi

AMuzi wrote in news:ok2l9o$79d$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I will repeat, the duke has a 90 v twin. it just has the first cyl pointed straight ahead so they like to call it a L. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

PolicySpy writes:

Oh I see, the poster is just insisting that 90-degrees is a "V". That I can follow but the point is the difference between the radial angles of the twin cylinder lines of the various engines which then produces different engine balance characteristics.

Reply to
PolicySpy