Headlights burnt out AGAIN! WTF?

That sounds... really horrible.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Its also a symptom of an intermittent ground in the alternator field circuit. Brief grounding of the field full-fields the alternator and shoots the system voltage to the high side of 20 volts... pop go the lights. Been there, done that... :-(

Reply to
Steve

Nah. You just wire in a 72-up standalone Chrysler voltage regulator. The exact same circuit got replicated onto the ECU board, so the function is identical.

Reply to
Steve

Yes. Also the first with electronic ignition, and the first with electronic voltage regulators. Among other things. Chrysler was a world leader in automotive engineering... once upon a time, not all that long ago :-(

Reply to
Steve

Obviously not a CS120. Delco made some GREAT alternators... and some utter crap.

Reply to
Steve

Yeah... it sounds horrible until you saw the WATER-cooled alternator setup on some Northstar Cadillacs. Then it looks a little less horrible. Ick.

Reply to
Steve

I figured to do something like that if I ever owned one. I could never do that to a customer's car. (I know - never say never)

Reply to
Steve Austin

yup, Chrysler and Studebaker were ahead of Ford and GM with a lot of things that really mattered (I mention Studebaker for adopting disc brakes, and also electronic ignition - not sure if they had it before Chrysler or just at the same time, although it still used points instead of a Hall sender or other electronic means) and look where it got 'em.

Of course, only Ford is really left standing at the moment...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

A 72 up standalone Chrysler regulator? What is 72 up? cuhulin, the dummy

Reply to
cuhulin

I think it is Dodge that was first with wire braiding in the front flexible brake hoses.That kept the hoses from ballooning when the brakes are used. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I think he means model year 1972 or later. They're all the same basic thing for a decade or more IIRC so if you ask for one for, say, a '74 Imperial you'll get what you want.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Model year 72 through the time when the VR became part of the ECU.

Reply to
Steve

A follow up to MY above original post from awhile back:

Last week my alternator DIED..... I now think the problem above was just a symptom of a bad alternator.... as some suggested.

However, new alternator and two new belts cost $450!! That abt right price for that?

Reply to
me

Installed? Brand new? that ain't bad. A reman alt for a VW Corrado is about that much just for the part.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

yes

Reply to
me

yeah I guess its not bad...considering I got 182k miles out of original alternator, yes?

Reply to
me

yeah... and since you seemed to be having overvoltage problems, it was likely the regulator that was bad, so a "quick fix" benchtop "rebuild" with new brushes and oil for the bearings wouldn't have fixed it

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Actually Ill bet it had a short to ground in the field (rotor) coil. That will cause very high voltage spikes until it fails permanently and burns out the rotor coil.

Reply to
Steve