"Heat Shields" On A 2005 Accord Problem

Hello,
Not too automotive sharp, so would be grateful for some advice on this.
My son has a 2005 Honda Accord with 175K on it now.
Dealership just told him that the "Heat Shield," and the "Rear Heat Shield" are 90 % gone.
Guess there are apparently two heat shield in question ?
a. Is this a safety issue ?
b. what are these things, exactly ?
c. If they are 90% gone, I assume the other 10 % will go shortly ? What's your opinion on this; a few months probably ?
The Dealership wanted $ 500 to replace. Reasonable, or...?
Much thanks, Bob

Typical.

Probably more than that.

Kinda sorta. If you tend to park over tall grass a lot and you heat-shields are missing, then there's a slim possibility of setting the grass a-smolder, or maybe even afire.

Pieces of thin sheet-metal that are formed to fit closely around the catalytic converter and some of the exhaust pipes, but just loosely enough that air can circulate between shield and pipe.

Can't say. Depends on the specific situation.
Usually they get loose because they get rusty. They will then cause odd buzzing, rattling, and sizzling sounds as the engine is revved

Replacing with new? That's probably a reasonable amount. Go see an independent garage. The indy place will have options that most dealers aren't willing to perfomr.
For instance, often you can extend their life by simply clamping them in place using ordinary worm-drive hose clamps.
--
Tegger

[...]

Huh. Even though I live in Los Angeles and with no salt on the roads I guess they mostly last forever, I had one get bent by road debris, went to the dealer because of the rattle, and the guy just bent it back by hand and sent me on my way for free - best service I've gotten at a dealer in a long time!
But why aren't these made of some better material if this is a common problem, I mean it's not like the exhaust system rots and falls off in the same time frame? Seems like ten dollars in material could prevent a nuisance and $500 repair in, well, nine year old cars?
J.

It's the salt that kills them.
If you've never lived in the north-east, then you've never experienced the hell that is rust.

I've wondered that myself. How much extra could semi-stainless cost over mild steel?
--
Tegger

Hah, I did for most of my childhood, then moved back for a couple of years as an adult. And heck, back in the day even average cars in California commonly rusted through after ten years or so, I've had my foot through the floorboards on several. I guess things are somewhat better these days.
When I had to drive for the first time on snowy roads every day, I wondered how the natives avoided accidents. I learned: they don't!
J.