Heater core -Al or Cu?

Aluminum or copper? I know copper is a better conductor of heat, and hence high end computer processor heatsinks use copper, but is there any real difference with automobile heater cores? Does one oxidize faster than the other?

The price difference isn't enough to worry about... $27 vs $31.

Reply to
Jon C

Depends.. Usually good quality copper will outperform aluminum.

Look at the chemical reactivity charts.. In general

Potassium High reactivity Calcium Magnesium Aluminum Zinc Iron Nickel Tin Lead Hydrogen Breakover: Below this point, reaction with hydrogen , such as water or many acids,generally doesnt happen

Copper Mercury Silver Platinum Gold (from memory) That means that aluminum is MUCH more chemically reactive than copper. Doesn't have anything to do with heat conductivity of the metal.

Now, corrosion inhibitor packages can offset some of the corrosive attack And pisspoor copper might not be a good buy.

But in general, copper is much better.

Reply to
<HLS

Depends on the year of manufacture. Up into the 80s, most heater cores were copper or copper alloys (brass) just like radiators were. Nowdays most are copper with plastic end-tanks, just like most radiators are.

The corrosion characteristics are different, too. If this is a car that uses DexCool antifreeze, do NOT put the copper heater core in unless you want to fill the passenger floorboard with coolant after the DexCool rots the copper. If it uses G-05 coolant or the traditional silicate coolant, then either one should be fine.

Reply to
Steve

It uses Dex-Cool.

Good to know. Thanks.

Reply to
Jon C

I have not seen any copper in an OEM (GM or Ford) radiator or heater in at least 20 years. I have not seen all of them though. Due to CAFE, copper was replaced with Al. Also, I don't understand how copper would rot out because it is not a base metal; i.e.: it's electromotive number is more positive than iron. Cu is an electron donor, not an acceptor, unlike Al. Aluminum -1.67 Iron -0.44 Copper +0.34

Reply to
« Paul »

I think you're pretty much correct. Not much copper in ANY cooling systems any longer.

I don't pretend to understand all the chemistry, but one of the biggest problems with DexCool is that it does not adequately protect copper-based alloys or the solders used in them from corrosion. One of the big reasons that Ford went with the G-05 inhibitor package is because it does offer protection to copper and solder that DexCool and other OAT inhibitor packages don't. Some water pump impellers are still brass/bronze alloy, and some head gaskets are copper. DexCool is well-known for not playing "nice" with those.

I guess when you throw a corrosion-control package into the equation, the relative electron affinity of different metals doesn't dominate which one corrodes and which doesn't to the same extent that it does in plain water.

Reply to
Steve

Weight. An aluminum radiator will be lighter than a copper one. (In theory anyway... trying to compare apples to apples here is not easily done, because the aluminum rad may be lighter, but which one can transfer more heat? Which one is easier to repair? Which one handles the abuse of racing better?)

based on the comments about dexcool, and the difficulty of changing most heater cores, I'd be more concerned about lifespan than the .5 pound weight difference or the $4 price difference. :)

Ray

Reply to
ray