heater core damage from power flushing

I have had two vehicles, a Saab 900turbo, and a Chrysler Cirrus, which both developed heater core damage within a month of power flushing the cooling system. Could the two be related? In the latter case, the Dodge dealer replaced the heater core under warranty and now there is a very foul smell whenever I turn on the heater. As long as the temperature selector is on cold, there is no smell. The dealer has had the car in 4 times, each time claiming to have fixed it, only to pick it up with the same problem. They told me they even tore the entire dashboard apart to investigate the problem and could find nothing. Another dealer said it might be residual fluid in the system from the repair and that it would go away with time. It has been two months now and it is no better. I cannot turn on the heat without my eyes stinging and nose burning. I became so frustrated, I traded the car in this week..it broke my heart because I had just made the final payment and I truly loved driving the car. Any comments about this case, and also whether power flushing the radiator may cause heater core damage?

Reply to
jackl

what is power flushing the cooling system?

Reply to
jfrancis311

Just about what it sounds like. They force water, or a water/detergent mixture, through the radiator, block, etc to flush out as much rust, stop leak, etc as possible.

If you have a weak heater core, then you could probably open it up with the flush. Or, you might flush gobs of putty-like stopleak into the core.

Reply to
<HLS

I don't know what psi a power flush entails, but I do know my water pressure is 60 psi or above.

The cooling system is designed to operate at about 16 psi, which is only 2 psi above atmospheric pressure at mean sea level.

SO, it is easily possible for a power flush, or GARDEN HOSE, to blow out a piece of heater core if corrosion has already weakened it. No question about that!

One must be careful when *flushing* any cooling system in an automobile. You can't just pressure-blast the thing and not expect any consequences. If that is what they did, then YES, they fvcked up your heater core, or something in the heater system.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Sounds like the power flusher is not the way to go.

Reply to
jfrancis311

I would not trust it, even on a new vehicle. This coming Spring/Summer, I'm due for a coolant change. I'll go according to the manual, which requires taking out the engine block drain plugs. As far as the heater getting flushed is concerned, just a slow flush with garden hose water. Not a full pressure blast. First from one direction, then from the other. Back and forth until I get clean water on the exit side.

In fact, the thermostat has to come out for this "operation" IIRC. So the main radiator and overflow tank get flushed as a unit, then the engine block as a unit, then the heater core as a unit. Not all strung together, which is just asking for trouble.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

It is not my treatment of choice. I like it even less when people do it to automatic transmissions.

Reply to
<HLS

Some of the newer cars won't let you drain the torque converter at all, so either you power flush or you change the fluid you can about five times in a week to get rid of most of the old stuff.

Reply to
clifto

If you change your tranny filter and service the fluid as the manufacturer recommends, you don't have to get out every drop of the old fluid.

You CAN drain it using the tranny oil cooler lines if you wish, but it really isn't necessary.

Power flushing a tranny is, IMHO, a technique designed and developed to separate people from their money. It has been cited as possibly CAUSING problems.

Reply to
<HLS

Changing the oil in an auto tranny is not to get rid of old oil but to replenish and maintain the lubricating and friction qualities of the oil. If done as per schedule then the partial oil changes are all that is required. I have never seen much deposit in a transmission filter even, unless the transmission is severely worn already. Transmissions tend to fail rather suddenly, mainly due to clutch disc material delaminating. Proper friction modifying properties of the oil is important for long friction material life and fairly regular partial oil changes facilitate this.

Huw

Reply to
Huw