Heater core replace? (Town car)

I smell antifreeze and get steam when I run hearer on 1986 Lincoln Town car. Tried Bars stop leak and it reduced it but still steams 4 days later.

Is there another type of pour in stop leak that works better for heater cores?

How long does it take for Bars stop leak to fully work? Will it fully plug the leak over the next few weeks?

If heater core needs replacement, can an amateur mechanic do the job? Does the dash have to be completely removed or just slid away from fire wall a few inches?

How many hours does it take to replace a heater core on an 86 Town Car?

As a last resort. If I have to bypass the heater connections at fire wall, how bad is it to go through a midwest winter with no heat or defrost?

Finances are a problem so just paying some overpriced repair shop is at the risk of not having rent money and eviction. So don't assume that every one is rich an can get more money from the money tree.

Reply to
BOCE1

If the leak is still there then it isn't going to get stopped by the bars leak. That stuff works in a few hours not days. It also has a nasty habit of plugging the heater core, radiator and helping to destroy the water pump seals. But too late for that.

On an 86 TC the core isn't that bad. You need to pull the dash out then remove the access panel and the core. Not fun but not real bad. Now on the newer ones you have to pull the engine due to lack of clearance to even get to the core!

As for bypassing it and driving it in the winter. I'm in the northeast and we have one fire engine that NEVER had a heater, care to guess which one NEVER moves in the winter?

Reply to
Steve W.

Are you serious?

Would you ride a bike in the winter? Yeah, I know, some do.

Consider the safety aspect. When you're shivering while driving, how much attention are you giving to your driving? Answer = not much. How well can you see through a frosted-up windshield? Not too good.

I'd say "park it" if you're not going to get it fixed.

Reply to
Bob M.

As Steve W. said, BarsLeak isnt going to fix this one, it would appear.

If you have pretty severe winter weather where you live, trying to deal with loss of defrost and heat through the winter would be unpleasant and maybe dangerous. Not that people havent done it before....the old Camaros had heater hoses that connected to the firewall connectors under the fenders. Lots of people ran for years with the heater hoses bypassed. (It was a lot easier to cut a hole in the wheeltub than to do this job in the more traditional way!)

Last, you can probably do this job yourself if you have tools and are fairly mechanically inclined. If you can get to a library with good repair manuals you can get an idea of how to proceed. It may take you hours....the first time you do it. But if you have more time than money, it IS possible.

I recently replaced the air conditioner evaporator core on my vehicle, which should have been a snap, according to the manual. It took me a lot longer than a snap, because the manual doesnt tell you everything, usually. I did it because I wanted to know how to do it. Now, if I had to do it again, I could do a much faster and cleaner job.

Good luck, should you decide to do it yourself.

Reply to
hls

Reply to
phil

I asked here a couple of times for help on my '89 Grand Marquis and no one volunteered a syllable that I saw. I and a friend did it on his driveway over several hours one afternoon. Ruined the rubber surround liner that was around it, because I didn't know it was supposed to be one piece. Auto parts store had given me the wrong part; had to go back and get the core for an '88, which was an identical replacement. It didn't go 100% perfect, but it was far from a train wreck.

Reply to
clifto