Heater Core install

I think that I need to replace the heater core in my 95 f150 is this a job that I can do by myself or should I take it to the garage to have it done? My truck has AC. If anyone can help me out on how to do this I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Pat2469

Reply to
Pat_RI

One of the easiest ones to do. do it yourself

Reply to
Steve

after another top poster kills the original thread, my suggestion is to try some stop leak ifthat's your problem. my car was fogging up real bad and i didn't want to pay for this job or do it myself with winter coming on. in goes a can of barr's stop leak and PERFECT!! ...thehick

Reply to
frank-in-toronto

I like top posting and want to put my 2 cents in this. I would ONLY consider using Barrs (or any) stop leak as a temporary emergency fix. Since this particular model is pretty easy to do, why not do it the right way and change the core instead of half assing it?

BTW, I have know stop leak to plug the radiators or heater cores and cause no end of problems. I was unfortunate enough to have someone use it in a vehicle they borrowed from me and I had to change the damn heater core because of it.

Reply to
bomar

I agree, top posting is easier to read, doesn't kill the thread unless you have some sort of short attention span thing, and Barrs leaks is a temp fix.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Reply to
Pat_RI

The heater core is in the large box attached to the firewall inside the cab, just behind the glove box. You should be able to remove the screws from the cover, remove the hoses from the heater core inlet and outlet under the hood, then remove and replace the core with a new one. Aftermarket ones will work, but the one from Ford fits better. This isn't a hard job on your year model.

Source; F-150 Online

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

I got a kick out of "Shadetree mechanic" one weekend years ago. They showed a heater core change on a f-150 as a do it yourselfer project. I looked at my truck and couldn't believe how easy it was to do. But I wondered how many people thought that all heater cores would be this easy due to the show. A ford Taurus is a 8 hour job.

Anyway, I wondered why people get bent out of shape about top posting. I hate looking at the sane text quoted 15 times and having to scroll down to the bottom to find out the next guy just wrote "DITTO"

Reply to
Steve

lol, I saw that, too.

I think, (but don't know for sure) that some types of newsreaders are easier to use for bottom-posters than for top posters.

I don't have a problem with it, though, so I don't intend to change.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Most people don't have a problem with top posting and with most browsers it is a better way to go. It puts the last comment where it can be seen without scrolling down the page. That means all the latest posts can be viewed by flipping through the headers rather than selecting the header then scrolling down the post.

The worst protests seem to come from "old school" posters but the bottom posting etiquette was developed before browsers like Netscape and OE made it easier to view top posted comments. Try having a look at the thread using google groups and you'll see what I mean. It's a painful blast from the past.

I say screw tradition and usually top post unless a thread has been deeply bottom posted. When they invent side posting, I'll do that too, if it's better!

And just to stay on topic: as far as Barrs leak etc. go, they are a last ditch, short term fix if you don't have the money and/or time to fix a leak properly. Anything that plugs small leaks is going to have a detrimental affect on the small passages in the radiator and heater core. In leaner times in the past I used all kinds of them and they often work for a time. I'd kill someone for pouring that into my vehicles now.

I was even able to seal a leaking head gasket for about 6 months at a time using a block sealing miracle product (from SolderSeal maybe?). Anything like that should only be used on an old beater that you are just trying to along nurse for a short while. It did seal the block and it also sealed most of the heater core too which made for some chilly drives to work in the winter time.

Stephen

Spdloader wrote:

Reply to
Stephen

"Spdloader" wrote >

Trimming all but the text that you are replying to and putting your reply beneath has always been the standard and involves little or no scrolling. Unfortunately, many posters these days are too lazy to do either. H

Reply to
Hairy

Maybe the "delete" key is broken?

Reply to
BOB

This is perfectly fine as long as the text that you are replying to is brief enough not to bury the reply. Sometimes though, there are multiple points in a post that you want to address and it is difficult to abbreviate it sufficiently.

Posts that interspace replies point by point within another post are a real pain in the ass, and get worse with each successive reply in kind. Anyway, that's just my $0.02.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen

Reply to