Helll! I just bought a Clunker. Obammer 'aint got me yet.

1993 Buick Regal GS sedan. 3800 auto. Leather int. Power ass scratcher.

The air even works. No Rust! 138550 miles. Receipts in the glovebox for four new Goodyear tires, $1200 midas brake job, and intake manifold gaskets all within the last 18 mos.

$500. Dude didn't want to put his wife in a Focus, Cobalt or some other mini-car/sub-compact for the $4500 that the CASH program would endorse.

I'll put a $130 Kenwood/Crutchfield stereo in it and have a happy commuter ride for a while! I only got a 150 mile, one way commute (and a flophouse on the other end so I come home one/twice a week). Al

Reply to
Anumber1

Sounds to me like you got one hell of a deal. Congratulations.

Chris

P.S. Obummer hasn't gotten a dime out of me, either. Screw that damn clunkers program. My cars are all paid for and run fine....

Reply to
Hal

The only car I have capable of passing the Clunker test is this:

Yeah, $4500 (if it goes that high) is about $1000 more than it's worth, but then again, what will I replace it with? A Fockus?

AHAHAHA! No thanks, Nobama!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Congratulations. Your car will turn more heads than some cookie-cutter cracker box that is currently being sold. Also, your purchase won't add to your grandchildren's debt.

Reply to
Kruse

Well. That failed. Epically.

First commute the car threw a rod 144 mies from home and 8 miles from my destination. Not much warning whatsoever. Cruse set to 70, air on, low radio volume, all gauges normal and reading stable.

Damn thing ran and drove great.

Five seconds of Tapppity-tappity. I switch off the cruse, turn off the radio and put it in neutral. Now coasting at idle down the highway it has no oil pressure at idle, a little tap on the gas shows that it will develop some pressure above idle but has a rod knock.

I coast down to about 40mph and put it back into gear hoping to make the next exit (3 miles). It does and the motor seizes at the top of the ramp.

I wouldn't have tried to get anywhere further normally but I had my 7 year old and my toddler with me and I really wasn't in a position to go on a three mile walk in 90F weather with them.

Previously the car had been fastidiously maintained but was only driven five miles one way to work and back. This was the first time the car had been more than 10 miles from home in literally 10 years. All cold starts, car never warmed up in the previous owners stewardship.

That may be how you wear out a modern motor.

He shoulda got that new rollerskate for the wife with the CARS program I guess. Now I gotta part out a really nice looking Buick.

Al

Reply to
Anumber1

Yeah. Frequent, short hops are not good. I don't even move my Scion unless I'm going at least 10 miles one way, but I prefer to go over 25 with it.

If the car had had frequent oil changes (every 3,000 miles, or, under the conditions you describe, every 3 months) it may have fared better.

these are listings for the Northeast:

1993 Engine Buick Regal STARTED 4-6-06 RUNS GOOD BOYD LEWIS 96,110 A 060395 $650 Stoystown Auto Wreckers USA-PA(Stoystown) E-mail 1-800-358-8770 1993 Engine Buick Regal RUNS GOOD ED 2/17/09,SEE NOTES 106,949 A 090042 $650 Stoystown Auto Wreckers USA-PA(Stoystown) E-mail 1-800-358-8770

I'd probably go with the one running the most recently, or get them to knock $100 off the one last started 04-06-06...

Too bad. The car sounded great...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Last week, I bought an almost new looking Troy Bilt walk behind lawn mower for $119.95 plus Rip Off state sales taxes, at a pawn shop.It has a Briggs & Stratton 6.50 horsepower engine.About twice the horsepower of my old lawn mower.

Will cash for lawn mower clunkers be next? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

The local U-Pull-It has several to choose from, all around 100k and out of nearly exact cars ($125, you yank it) but... I am chasing my job right now and have no time to do it. The point of the Buick was to not drive my 4x4, V8 P/U and burn $$80 in gas a week for my commute to work on "Monday" and my drive back home on "Saturday" (Whist staying in a flophouse during the week). 300 mile commute round trip plus about 100 miles of local driving during the week add up fast in a truck that gets about 14mpg. That Buick should have been good for mid to high twenties if driven conservatively.

And yes, the car did need an oilchange when I bought it, it was 500 miles over the last sticker that recommended a 3000 mile change (and was performed 9 months ago)(I did it before I put it on the road). I really don't know how far over that it regularly went but the previous owner was pretty good about getting the brakes and suspension taken care of so I *Figured* the other maintenance stuff got handled in a timely fashion too. I suppose not.

Pulled a valve cover when I got it back home and its pretty grungy in there...

Reply to
Anumber1