1986 Grand Wagoneer won't start

I just replace the sparkplugs on my 1986 Grand Wagoneer, v8. Now it won't start. There is power when I turn the key. Lights, radio, windows etc. No clicking from the starter relay. Car has (within the past year) new alternator, starter, distributer, coil and ingnition module. Could not find any wires that may have become disconnected during the spark plug change. Maybe I missed something. Any idea where I should start.

Reply to
jimmy3stix

Knock a wire off the solenoid?

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

I'm leaning toward something that stops the engine from even turning over.

Since you replaced the cap it's probably the Camshaft Position Sensor in the distributor. (I'm assuming your engine has one) I'm not that familiar with the 86 model year.

Reply to
DougW

No, solonoid is all hooked up, actually it's a relay on fender wall. Entire distributor was replaced, so I assume it is not the camshaft position sensor. Could it be that the rebuilt starter took this moment to quit?

Reply to
jimmy3stix

Starter relay not clicking could be the solinioid gave up or a blown fuse in the ignition circuit.

I don't think your vehicle is new enough that the computer will prevent engine starting with missing sensors. It should at least turn over.

I'd test the solinoid and starter circuit. Not exactly your application, but it's electrically the same.

ref)
It's fairly easy to bump the engine around and that essentially checks the starter system. Then you use a 12V test lamp to make sure the solinoid is getting power from the ignition circuit.

Reply to
DougW

You did put it back in 'Park' right?

entirely possible the starter did crap out just at that point, see if you can do the following:

Turn over engine by hand from teh front pulley. (maybe remove spark plugs to release compression)

Jump solenoid (after the above step confirms that the engine will turn over) and see if that helps. (Careful, don't let ti start in gear!)

Reply to
PeterD