HELP! Ford Windstar 3.0L 2000 with engine problem

Hi all I own a Ford Windstar 3.0L 2000 with 60000 km on the trip meter. The problem is as follows: The engine runs perfect in idle and with low load, but when I use it with heavy load it starts missfire and hesitate. And almost every time the transmission do a kick down, the engine backfire. I have tried almost everything to get it right. The local Ford dealer can not find any troublecodes at all and I have replaces all ignition parts and tried to replace the MAF sensor, but nothing helps. Please, help me find the problem.

Reply to
ake.l.eriksson

you did replace maf?? if not try taking it apart and clean it..if it works then you know it'll be maf..i cleaned mine lasted 6 months and i finaly bought a new one and how long ago did you have plugs and wires changed??..good luck..

Reply to
Scrapper

Bad plugs, fuel filter, partly-clogged cat convertor, bad plugs (Yes, even new ones!) weak fuel pressure, water in the fuel, improperly-set timing, partly collapsed exhaust pipes, bad wires breaking down under load, EGR valve--and other. You may wish to tackle the problem with what seems more logical to you. With such low km on a 2000, it quite well could be cat conv (not cheap; but if bad, check on Ford's warr on emission systems: may still be under warr) as often low-km units have been subjected to lots of short drives & home-to-grocery store runs--running lotsa rich fuel thru exhaust system. Only you know how old plugs, fuel filter(s), wires are. Remember: the 'real' cost of GOOD ignition parts is not what you have to pay for them--it's only the DIFFERENCE between their cost and inferior ones' cost!!! If you look at the wires AT NIGHT, with someone's help, with car in gear, emergency brake ENGAGED, and helper's foot on brake and properly chocked wheel(s), have helper slightly increase rpm's. If the wires 'light up' like xmas lights flickering, you can safely bet new wires are in order regardless if they are causing problem. Exhaust problems would probably cause a 'swishing' sound when under load as the exhaust squeezes thru restricted routes thru the pipes/cat/muff. Luck to you. Ensure a proper, thorough tune-up has been done recently. This could fix it or eliminate several possible causes. s

Reply to
sdlomi2

I have recently (2 week ago) change to a new ignition coil pack together with new plugs, new wires and a new fuel filter. The MAF sensor was first cleaned and then replaced with a sensor from an identical car that runs fine. The Ford dealer has measured the fuel preassure and tested the EGR valve. Still the same problem. You said something about a bad timing, can this occurs if the CKP sensor is bad? The tune-up was made one month ago.

Reply to
ake.l.eriksson

Take a look here. Diff. car, but how to check the CKP on this, the diff. car. Seems from Google search, there often is found a defect in harness feeding voltage to CKP: >>

sdlomi2