HELP IT WON'T START!

Three months it's been in the shop. Fuel inj. 4 cyl - runs great otherwise. problem only in the morning. Fires on all plugs and fuel is spraying from the injector. It just cranks but never catches. When it finally does start up it acts as though (and smells like) it's flooded. So far have replaced: Oxygen. sensor, Temp sensor, Fuel pressure Regulator, and Mat sensor. Also tried new computer - so far no fix. Happen 3 - 4 mornings a week. Need help please.

Reply to
lucky3

What the hell type of vehicle is it???????????????

Reply to
<HLS

MY PSYCHIC POWERS HAVE DIVINED THAT YOU ARE PUTTING GASOLINE INTO A

1981 DIESEL RABBIT.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Reply to
Shep
1984 Olds Cutlass Ciera 4 cyl Fuel Injected 100K orig miles
Reply to
lucky3

I would assume that this is the Iron Puke 4 cylinder with throttle body injector.

That engine never ran smooth, IIRC. I remember putting a new injector cartridge in mine, hoping it would help. (Not so! Still was a turd)

Mine had a distributor in it. Does yours? If so, be sure it does not have an internal carbon track, and that your ignition wires, rotor, cap, etc are in great shape. Any screwup in the ignition and it might not fire (especially when cold and damp.)

Check to be sure your ignition is putting out a hot spark WHEN it is supposed to be there. In other words, be sure your ignition and valve timing is in good shape.

A compression check is a nice way to start the day.

Now, that engine was very very prone to block cracking, (If I have the right engine).

It usually cracked at the water jacket inside the lifter gallery. It is really easy to check this if you can remove the inspection plate and take a visual inspection. The crack will be parallel to the lifter gallery floor, and perhaps

1-1.5 inches up on the wall. If you see a whitish line across the jacket wall, then you are probably cracked.

If you are cracked, then this may be a reason it happens primarily in the morning (after cooling, fluid transfer, etc)

Remember that the basics say: (1) you need fuel at the right mixture with air (2) you need ignition at the right time and high enough voltage and (3) you need compression, at the right time, etc.

If you get those three basic down right, you are likely to start and run well.

Reply to
<HLS

have you bothered to check fuel pressure. Hard starting in a.m. tells me that fuel probably has returned to the gas tank due to a bad checkball in fuel pump, and if pump is bad car will crank forever till it gets system full of fuel. I recommend hooking gauge to fuel line to check for proper fuel pressure. Turn key on, pump will run for 2 secs., then see what you have for fuel pressure. If it's a 2.5 ltr should have

9-12 lbs of pressure. If not, make sure pump runs for 2 secs, if it does then replace fuel pump.
Reply to
martinsauto

LOTS of fuel sprays out - In fact I think too much as then when it does start, it smells and feels flooded. Another thing I've noted .... used to get 260 - 280 miles to a tankfull of gas down to 180 miles to the tankful now. Using up alot of gasoline someplace.

Reply to
lucky3

Quite possibly too much fuel pressure, will also make a hard start. put a gauge on it and ck your fuel pressure

Reply to
martinsauto