96 Taco won't start when hot

My '96 Taco with 71K has developed a problem when it has run for a while. It is very hard to start after it has been driven for 30 minutes or more. Most of the time I get the problem after being on the highway for 30-50 miles. After stopping the engine to go into a store or get gas, it is very difficult to get re-started. Anyone got any ideas on what is going on?? thanks.

Reply to
Ronbo

I had a similar problem with my 96 Corolla... It would sputter or shutoff after running for a while. If you have a maintenance manual check the crank position sensor. I know it sounds off but that is what fixed mine.

Reply to
Tony

What are the symptoms when it won't starts? Starter cranks the engine orver or not? Does it just crank and crank without firing? One problem might be that you are not getting the fuel pump to run while the starter is cranking. If this is the case, its often the circuit opening relay, which supplies power to the fuel pump, that may be acting up.

Reply to
Roger Brown

When it won't start, the starter just cranks and cranks. It eventually will start, but it takes a while. Engine runs fine all other times with no problems. Where is the circuit opening relay located? If I can find it, I can change it and see if that is the problem.

Reply to
Ronbo

I have a similar problem with my 1996 Taco (246,000 miles) I find that if I open the fuse box (under the hood on the drivers side), pull the EFI fuse and wait one minute then replace it, the truck will then start without a problem. The issue is definitely electrical. I think it does have something to do with the fuel pump or something related to it.

Reply to
meithkiller

I have a similar problem with my 1996 Taco (246,000 miles) I find that if I open the fuse box (under the hood on the drivers side), pull the EFI fuse and wait one minute then replace it, the truck will then start without a problem. The issue is definitely electrical. I think it does have something to do with the fuel pump or something related to it.

Reply to
meithkiller

I have the same problem. Same year, same mileage, and the 2.7 4 cyl. After the truck has been driven enough that it's up to operating temp, and I park it for 20 to 30 minutes it acts like it has vapor lock. If it sits less or more time then it starts fine. It seems to have something to do with under hood temp. It always will start, but it takes 3 or 4 tries to get it going. It only does this during the summer weather. I took it to the dealer and all they could come up with was air filter, plugs, etc. I did those things but it made no difference. I'm debating whether I should replace the fuel pressure regulator. I'm just not sure if I want to stick anymore money in to this problem.

Reply to
jfels