Help Me Find The Oil Leak From The Pictures (Thank You)

Without jack or ramp, I took some pictures of the oil pan with the leak. Could anyone tell me where the leak is? on underview.jpg, you can see there are a lot of oil near the oil plug. I think it is just because the oil plug is the lowest point on oil pan. There are some dots of oil further at the left upper corner on the picture . To me, it is like there was a lot of oil, but mostly just dried up. It seems to me the leak is from upper part of the engine somewhere. The last oil change is 6 weeks ago, so it can not be the old oil left over on the engine. I checked the oil level in morning before starting the car. It is at the high mark. After starting the engine, it goes to the mid between high and low marks, because the oil is spreading inside the engine. Do you think it is a big leak or small leak? The pictures were taken after driving for 30 minutes, then sitting for 1 hour.

What is the correct time to check oil level? A Beforestarting the engine? B After starting it then shuts it off at cold? C After drive for 10 minutes to make it hot?

Background: It is a Honda Civic. I changed oil very 3000 miles with some cheap store charging 14.99. (Could the oil change messged up my oil plug or they did not tight the oil filter enough?) My car bottom hit a rock recently. The oil leak is

1 teaspoon per 10 minutes.
Reply to
Great Deals

Always check the engine oil after the engine has been shut down for at least

3 minutes. You need to give the oil time to drain back into the pan. Hot or cold doesn't matter. Engine oil does not expand with heat (at least not enough that you could measure a difference). The best time to check is first thing in the morning before you start it the first time. If you still have the owners manual, there is probably a section on checking the oil where they explain all this.

Reply to
E. Meyer

So, if I have an OIL LEAK but the OIL LEVEL is always at the HIGH MARK when I check oil level before starting engine in morning, can I conclude that the OIL is OVER FILLED and it is just pumping the extra oil out to make it seem an oil leak??

Reply to
Great Deals

No. You could conclude that: A) It's not an oil leak, B) What is on the dipstick may, or may not, be oil, C) Your car has the wrong dipstick, or D) The oil may be overfilled. People sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf......George Orwell.

Reply to
Mark Pilcher

Approximately 9/17/03 13:50, Great Deals uttered for posterity:

No, it takes a pretty big leak to be noticeable on the dip stick, you would see a big wet oily spot a couple feet or larger if it was that bad. Figure that mere half inch or less on the oil stick represents 4-5 quarts or more of oil, then try to figure out how little the mark would move for 10-20 drops of oil leaked overnight.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

The lower and upper marks on the dipstick normally represent 1 quart of oil, not the entire sump capacity.

Reply to
Matthew Hunt

Approximately 9/17/03 14:28, Matthew Hunt uttered for posterity:

Ooops, good point. Still it takes lotsa little drops to move that mark. Kinda rare unless you have a hole in the pan or are driving an old british sports car. And most of the oil spots on driveways are from oil that collects along the vehicle during driving, then runs to a low spot and drips when parked. Takes a surprisingly few drops to make a big ugly spot.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Some Honda's require a new cruch washer at the drain plug when the oil is changed. When the old one is used the oil will run out like yours does.

Reply to
WasteNotWantNot

A) It got to be a LEAK. B) I am sure the LEAK is OIL, 100% sure. C) It is original. Never changed, so it can not be wrong stick

*D) If the oil if overfilled, where the oil will com out? From the filter? dipstick?

Can you tell anything from the pictures of the oilpan?

Reply to
Great Deals

The leak size on ground every morning, is about half of a hand I timed the leak, it is about 1 teaspoon very 5-10 minutes. I saw the drops and counted time. Could you tell me what you see from the pictures?

Reply to
Great Deals

As the pictures show, the leak looks like from the up somewhere, not from the drain plug, because I can see there are other spots on the bottom of the engine. Leaks from drainplug, can not go that far to front...

Reply to
Great Deals

my first instinct is to see if that oil pan of yours is cracked. the picture looks like it showing a crack frontview.jpg right side about 1/3 from the bottom of the picture. this may be just a scratch though.

a problem on hondas is oil leaking through the oil pressure sending unit. a less than $20 part, but you need to remove the oil filter and have a 24mm 6pt deep socket to remove it. you'll probably need a knife to cut the boot off the sender and then unplug it, do you best not to rip the wire right off the connector, it's a beast to remove with just your fingers.

Reply to
MudPuppy

Looks like a pretty obvious crack on the pan in the second photo. You can try to patch it, but my experience is that unless the pan is completly clean of oil, patches dont take. Suck it up and spend the $$ for a pan, or remove it, clean it inside and out, then patch it. JB weld will work if the area is clean of oil.

Check your oil hot or cold, after the engine has been off a minimum of

1 minute.
Reply to
Curly

Approximately 9/17/03 21:10, Curly uttered for posterity:

I can't tell if that is a crack just to the right of the "Engine Oil" or not in the second photo. If possible, you may try washing the underside of the engine with a coin op car wash, then rephoto. As much oil as you are dropping, would think fixing the pan at a japanese auto specialty shop would be cheaper than oil.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

my first instinct is to see if that oil pan of yours is cracked. the picture looks like it showing a crack frontview.jpg right side about 1/3 from the bottom of the picture. this may be just a scratch though.

a problem on hondas is oil leaking through the oil pressure sending unit. a less than $20 part, but you need to remove the oil filter and have a 24mm 6pt deep socket to remove it. you'll probably need a knife to cut the boot off the sender and then unplug it, do you best not to rip the wire right off the connector, it's a beast to remove with just your fingers.

Reply to
MudPuppy1976

don't forget the Swedish Undercoat System on old volvos!

Reply to
MudPuppy1976