Help with disassembling lens cover

I need intructions on how to remove the lens cover for my headlight on my 95 altima so that I may clean it. It has become yellow and interfers with the brightness of my headlight. I looked at it and don't want to damage it by an inproper removal. I would appreciate your help very much.

greyaltima

You shouldn't need to remove it. Some extra life can be squeezed out of the plastic lenses by careful polishing. The lens isn't dirty, the outside surface is actually discolored. There is a hardcoat over the plastic and too aggressive of a polishing will cut through it, so use something that is on lighter end such as polish goes.

The only real cure is replacement of the headlamp assembly.

Reply to
Brent P

You cannot remove the lens without destroying the headlamp. You can attempt to polish the lens using a good brand of car polish (my preference is for blue-label TR3 brand from the parts store) using a soft cloth, after having washed the lens face carefully with hot soapy water. Be advised that plastic headlamp lenses' front surfaces are coated for abrasion and UV resistance (if they weren't, they'd go even cloudier even faster), and by polishing them, you are removing part of this coating or cutting right through it, so the condition will return. However, if they haven't been polished before you can sometimes buy some time with this method.

If polishing is not successful and they remain cloudy, the deterioration is through the entire lens and the headlamp assembly will have to be replaced.

DS

Reply to
Daniel Stern Lighting