How did the police 'reverse gps' this car today, to track down the suspect?

On Fri, 07 Nov 2014 15:41:20 -0500, DEG wrote:

If they were smart, they would tap the vehicle power supply for normal every day use. Then the battery would last considerably longer. Depending on the nature of the battery, yeah it could literally last years.
I've had my car's key fob battery seven years and haven't replaced the battery yet.

There's a huge difference in power consumption between a car key fob battery and a device that not only has to get a GPS Signal, but then transmit a cellular data packet very likely a dozen or more times a day.

More likely to be powered all the time regardless of the ignition switch so they can find and take back the car even when its parked etc.

I don't given that they did find the car and the kidnapper.

Yes, but clearly that sort of system would be no use for finding the car if the individual who is supposed to be paying for the car stops making payments on the car. That's why it was in the car, so they can do that.

It wasn't onstar, it was PassTime which was installed by the dealer.
On Sat, 8 Nov 2014 08:54:13 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

Ok. Had a look at that system. Interesting. Although I saw nothing that said GPS was being used. But it would not be difficult to have some kind of signal sent to the office showing where the vehicle is.Even without the knowledge of the driver.