How Do I Bleed Air From Cooling System?

Hello All

The car is a 1990 Chevrolet Beretta with the 3.1 L V6 engine. I can hear water gurgling through the heater core (or at least somewhere behind the dash) when I start the car and the engine is cold.

I've tried adding coolant to the radiator several different ways and still I get the gurgling sound, which I am assuming means there is air in the cooling system. There is a small plug on the top of the thermostat housing. That's the only one I can find.

Anyway, can someone give me directions on the best way to bleed the air out of the cooling system. Or if you hae a different theory as to what the gurgling sound indicates, please pass that along, too.

Thanks in advance for any ideas on this.

Reply to
KC

You probably do have air in the system. Why? A leak or just low on coolant? That you need to find out after this is done.

Generally, the procedure is to make sure the engine is at operating temp (if that's possible), put the heater on HOT & the fan on high. Add coolant as required, putting it in the overflow bottle I believe.

Reply to
Bob M.

"Bob M." wrote in news:F46dnTEuBPlGDufenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@bresnan.com:

why don`t you just tell him to tilt the geberwhitzten to the left and open the dooberwhomp and chant bleed 3 times. (doofus) KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff