Cooling System

All

I have a 1991 UK Petrol Spacewagon. The car heater was running cold and the engine temperature went up above the usual lower half way. I changed the thermostat before the car got over hot but now the engine runs at a much higher temperature. I have been told there is air in the system but I can;t find a bleeder valve on the cooling system. Anyone know the best way to bleed the air out of the system?

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
DAVID CAPEL

There isn't one. Do this.

Turn the heater full on. With the rad cap off, top up the coolant, then start the engine and let it idle until the thermostat opens: takes about 5 minutes. You'll see the level drop when this happens. Reving the engine to about 2000rpm or so will cause the coolant to circulate. Keep adding coolant until the level stabilizes. Put 3cm of coolant in the overflow bottle. WIth the engine still running at 1500-2000 rpm, top up again and put the cap on. You're done.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

Well it's either something like that or you have a bad heater core (hopefully not!) that sounds just like a heater core to me good luck with everything on that.

LancerFreak

Reply to
03LancerFreak

Thanks LancerFreak

I've drained the cooling system and re-filled and the temp is ok now.....just getting a funny noise from one of the drive belts (the one above the alternator)

Reply to
Dave Capel

That should be your water pump it's SQUEALING right? really loud? You need to replace that belt. Or you will have bigger problems down the pipe. Generally they are pretty cheap but can be a pain in the rear to do by yourself.

03LancerFreak
Reply to
03LancerFreak

Cheers 03LancerFreak

The belt stopped squaling after about 10 minutes but the car temp guage runs hotter than it did before and the heater doesn't kick as much heat out. Could this still be an air lock or the thermostat too hot a rating?

Reply to
Dave Capel

I do not qualify as an auto mechanic, but I wonder if friction from something or other (a technical term!) is causing the overheating issue.

Regards, Mark "Still wonders if this Jeep Eagle Talon TSi AWD will do 130+ MPH" Gibson

Reply to
Mark Gibson