Air in the Cooling System

Gurgling sound before the engine fully warms up.

Big deal, or no ?

Reply to
Yabahoobs

What kind of truck? Engine? Also do you see the coolant level going down in your overflow tank? How long after you start the engine does it start to "gurgle"?

Reply to
Ford Tech

98 F-150 w/ 5.8L V8. 73K mileage. Gurgling sound coming behind the dash board whenever I apply a lil' gas (to try to slightly speed up the engine warming up...It's -5 in the morning when I start my day out here). Once the engine is fully warmed up, no gurgling sound.

I haven't really checked coolant recently maybe it's a lil low...maybe there's a leak from my thermo-housing...

Any other ideas ?? Is it really a big deal ?

Reply to
Yabahoobs

At -5, odds favor ice in the heater coil. If there is no leak, and the gurgle stops after the ice is melted, I'd not worry about it.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Cut me a break. I just got the thing, and I immediatly had to get a

1500 dollar wiring harness.

That said...Yes. Im an idiot.

Reply to
Yabahoobs

It is if there is a leak and you are loosing coolant from the system. Especially if its leaking and you dont know what your coolant level is currently.. LOL

Reply to
Ford Tech

It's all good. I appreciate the help / advise. It's my mission to nurse this baby back to perfect health.

Reply to
Yabahoobs

Sorry not trying to break your balls, just trying to stress that if you think you have a problem with the fluid system check the level of the fluid in that system. It will be a prime indicator as to whether or not you really have a problem. Also, if you have ice in the heater core, I would be getting my protection level checked. Water expands when it freezes so if you get a big enough block in there, it can crack your heater core, or possibly your engine block if the ice forms there.

Reply to
Ford Tech

Good luck in your mission. First thing I would do if I were you is get a good shop manual for that truck, a HELM workshop manual would be a good choice from what I hear (no experience with them myself).

Reply to
Ford Tech