how does the map get into the radio?

In a new car radio with GPS, how does the map get into the radio? Does it receive cellular data, wifi, or come already installed?
What if you want to install the next year's version?
My current 2005 toyota has a map on DVD, and it's not got all the roads, even the ones that existed then. A repacement DVD is 90+ dollars! but mine is good. OTOH, one for 2011 is only $20, but I'm guessing it won't work right??? And I don't know if it has many more roads or not. Maybe it only has more recent stores.
And I don't see anything newer than 2011, so I figure they don't use DVDs anymore. ??
I don't need navigation, only occasionally to know where I am.
If the GPS map on new radios isn't a lot better than what I have, I'd rather save a couple hundred dollars and get a radio withou it.
On 07/10/2018 10:15 PM, micky wrote:

Micky, GPSs can't work miracles.

There are a confusing number of models but you can get a Garmin Nuvi for less than $100 with lifetime map updates. The updates are done with wifi. The ones with real time traffic updates are more expensive and may not be useful depending on where you live.
Digital maps have varying quality data. Urban areas are usually more up to date than rural.
In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 07:43:26 -0600, rbowman

Is it a miracle to tell me where I am?

I don't want another device, just a radio which may or may not have GPS.
I hadn't thoughty about traffic updates, but that would definitely require a receiver and a higher price. There is pretty much only one route to take to work, so knowing about the traffic doesn't help.
In Chicago where the streets are on a grid, one can just take a parallel street if there is traffic, but not here.

This DVD does have more streets within Baltimore, but I have a paper atlas of Baltimore which has all that too, and more, and I rarely go some place I haven't been to 10 times. The DVD wasn't up to date on the rural areas even when the car was made. At least it doesn't have enough detail.
@bigfoot.com says...

Get the radio without it.
I don't know about the prices, but some of the new cars with navigation have a USB slot where you download the maps on a computer and then transfer them with a USB drive to the car.
As many said, just get a Garman or such with the lifetime updates for free.
In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 10:18:22 -0400, Ralph Mowery

That would save money, and I'm more likely to find a radio with real buttons, which are easier to use when driving.

Thank you for answering my question!

I don't want another device. I just want a radio, which may or may not have GPS. In order to judge whether to get GPS, I need to know how much detail the map will have, but if the map is bad, that just means no GPS, not that I would buy an additional device to have a better map.
Thanks.
@bigfoot.com says...

The maps are usually very close from one GPS to the next if they are updated.
I don't care too much for the radio, but do like being able to plug in a USB drive into the audio system to play songs of my choice. You do not need the GPS option for that.
I bought a 2017 Toyota and it came with sort of a GPS, but not really. From what I get out of it, it seems that it has a map that works off my cell phone. You start out with it and it calculates here you are and which way to turn. If you get off the given route it still thinks you are on it. So it is worthless. They do make a true GPS for that car,but it just was not on the one I bought.
I have a Garman with lifetime updates that I like to use and can move it between the car and truck as I need to. While not allways accurate it has a traffic warning for the traffic jams and backups.
In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 11:06:49 -0400, Ralph Mowery

Right. I do that too. But not from a port right in the radio. I have to plug something into the cigarette lighter. Despite that it works, that was another reason to get a new radio, but I twisted the thing 90 degrees and now I can see the buttons and it's pretty easy to replay a song or skip to the next song.

Clever. I didn't have a specific method in mind, but I thought there would be some 4th method by now. A shame it doesn't work better.

Yes. I often see things that make me turn off the route.

On 7/11/2018 11:06 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I have a Garmin too with lifetime maps and traffic but had to fight with it yesterday having to route around a road closure when it kept trying to reroute me back to it. Not the first time I've either had to ignore it or turn it off.
Don't know about current Toyota's but a friend said it would cost $200 to have dealer put new maps in his Rav 4. Garmin maps may be updated as much as four times a year. It is not just road changes but new business openings and business addresses changing.
In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 12:32:56 -0400, Frank <"frank

Wow. I'd rather be lost than spend $200.
I mean, they found the Thai cavers. Surely someone would find me eventually.

On 7/11/2018 12:32 PM, Frank wrote:

Its a real money make for them. Most cars are $100 to $200. My car has 3 years included or I'd not bother.
On 7/11/2018 5:35 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I had recalled ads in car magazine for dealers that dealers could make a large profit off accessories.
Googled it up and found this recent article:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimhenry/2012/02/29/the-surprising-ways-car-dealers-make-the-most-money-off-of-you/#21a63e5e1e6f
Also recall years ago when I bought Chevy's where my brother was the service manager. Warranties did not last long, if there was one, and my car developed a cracked block and needed a new engine. My brother could not reduce the labor cost but bought the engine himself for the shop to install. He saved me the %100 part markup that the dealer would have charged.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On many of the systems that use Garmin maps you can use updates direct from Garmin onto a formatted SD card to update for a LOT less...
--
Steve W.

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 10:18:22 -0400, Ralph Mowery

Paper maps are FREE at any DMV. Thats all I need!!!!
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 13:28:50 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@no.com wrote:

I mostly agree with you. That's what ended up working on my Sunday drive the other day.
Before I drove to Florida, I went to tourism [state name] for each of the states I was driving through, and they each sent me a map. I think the search word was tourism. Allow 30 or 45 days.
Plus if you are on an interstate, and it's 9-6 Sunday - Saturday, there is usually a plaza soon after entering a state where you can stop and get a state map. Though in a few states, everything is on display except the map, which you have to ask for.
On 7/11/2018 8:40 PM, micky wrote:

I've driven across the country a few times and parts of Europe with paper maps. I still like to look at them for the overall view.
That said. navigation in a car is a very useful tool. Pick a state and a major city and I'll take you to it with no map, just a basic knowledge of geography and road signs.
So. we are traveling and think it is about time to call it a day. On my navigation I can search for hotels. I can choose "along route" and it brings them up by distance. I can choose on and press a button to call ahead to see if they have a room. If yes, I push another button and the car will guide me to it. I have a Head Up Display so it even shows me the next turn on the windshield and the distance down to 10 feet.
Do I need it? No, I've done well for decades. It is though, a great tool along the way to find food, fuel, lodging. As I said, I can get you to Cleveland or Fargo, but the navigation will take me right to 666 Park Street. Its a tool I'm willing to pay for.
On 07/11/2018 08:59 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That's what I find valuable. As far as large scale navigation goes, I drove OTR in the '90s and like the song says I've been everywhere. However calling up the motels and grocery stores in Fargo saves time.
That's where the updates come in too. I hadn't updated mine in a long time and last fall it guided me to a Basha's in Tucson that was gone.
On 07/11/2018 10:18 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

WE still have our Garmin with lifetime updates, but we gave up using it: Before a longish trip about five years ago, I updated the maps, with the result that it was telling us things like "keep left" where there was no intersection or ramp, and was showing us driving in the middle of a cornfield when we were in fact on the highway.
Maybe a further update would solve the problem, but the Sygic app on the phone is much better, with a heads-up display mode and lane assist.
Perce
In rec.autos.tech, on Thu, 12 Jul 2018 12:31:34 -0400, "Percival P.

I think you were taking those words as traffic instructions, when they were actually political. Garmin was taken over by a commie pink consortium.
and was showing us driving in the middle of a

And by the anti-farm lobby.

They have 10 apps. The first one just gave me directions to Bratislava. Which one do you use?

On 07/12/2018 01:18 PM, micky wrote:

> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sygic.aura
I do not have all the US maps installed at present -- only the ones for this region of the USA. They have maps for many countries.
I now see that they also have a version that connects to the infotainment system on some manufacturers' cars.
They have free trials -- seven days, perhaps. You could start off with a fairly basic version, and they often have major discounts (not infrequently 70%) on various upgrades, such as the heads-up display and traffic-information features.
Perce
In rec.autos.tech, on Thu, 12 Jul 2018 16:36:01 -0400, "Percival P.

Thanks. Good to know they have more than Slovakia.