how many American cars are RWD?

The 2013 Cadillac, I see. Apart from the Corvette, GM had been getting it's RWD cars from Australia. What has Ford got besides the Mustang? Chrysler? I know there are the boutique cars such as the Tesla.

Reply to
BW

None. Real Americans drive pick up trucks. They are all rear wheel drive... at the moment.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

which is essentially a lotus with an electric anchor. ATS shows some promise but I doubt the publico generale will be buying rear wheel drivers en masse any time soon. sigh.

Reply to
AD

ha, beat me to it!

Reply to
jim beam

The Dodge Charger and the Chrysler 300 are "normal" rear wheel drive. We have a

2012 Charger and love it. Of course, I drive a 1971 AMC Matador 4-Door sedan, rwd, of course.
Reply to
sctvguy1

a 2012 Charger and love it. Of

Great to hear! I drive a 1975 AMC Hornet Sportabout wagon. Also have a '71 Ambassador which for all intents and purposes is the same as the Matador, the Ambo just has a few extra useless inches of wheelbase ahead of the firewall and different front-end styling.

Reply to
Roger Blake

My first new car was a 1974 Hornet sedan, six with three-speed. I found this 71 Matador on Hemmings and traded a 41 Chrysler for it, even. I wanted to buy a new Matador around 75-77, but my ex wanted a BIG station wagon, a 73 Fury. I wanted the Matador with the 258 six/auto. This one that I have now, the 71, has a 360 V-8, auto/PS/PB(front discs), AM Radio and only 27K original miles! It drives like a dream. Nice to see another AMC person out there! I really like the Ambassador styling, but you are right, same car, just a 122" wheelbase rather than a 118". Mine is black, red interior, bench seats, color keyed steering wheel. What is yours like?

Reply to
sctvguy1

yours like?

The '71 Ambo is a wagon equipped 360 V8, Shift-Command automatic, factory A/C, power steering, and front disc brakes. (I believe all but the 360 were standard, as I recall the base engine was the 304.) It also has pushbutton AM radio and the optional electric windshield wipers. Not a low mileage car, though, with 160K miles but it runs great and I have all service records since new. It has green vinyl bench seats, reclining in front. This is a huge car by today's standards but back in the day it was the smallest and lightest of the full-sized models on the market.

It's a very comfortable vehicle for long trips and can haul quite a bit, but is a bit heavy on gas for daily use. I mostly use the Hornet which is a lighter car with an economical six cylinder engine.

Reply to
Roger Blake

Always wanted a Pacer, with the front and rear vent windows, love vents! I am checking the gas mileage on this

360 and am getting around 13 in town with the A/C, 16 on the road. It is the 2bbl model. The original owner had someone put dual exhausts on, with turbo mufflers, and Friday, I removed them, put regular quiet mufflers on, and it is very quiet. I found out that the AMC V-8 family all used the exact same block, just different bores, so there would be no weight saving if I had the 290/304 combo. Even the 401 was the same block! People think that I am crazy to want to change out the 8 for a 6, but I love straight 6's! Your Ambassador wagon sounds great, very comfortable. There are several 66 Ambassadors on Hemmings for less than $5K, in great shape! There is even a 69 American, the $1879 model, totally stripped, two door sedan! I wish that my front bench was the reclining type, but can't be choosy!
Reply to
sctvguy1

is yours like?

All this rambler crap. Growing up, my dad was buying used wagons. I think one was a shade of pink. I think it was about a 1967 model 327 , that was a nice model I used to cruise in. Two barrel I think.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

My real cruiser was my dads 63 olds 394 high compression 4 barrel. Like the car had no 3rd gear. First, second, overdrive.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I believe rear wheel drive last a lot longer than front wheel drive. Less parts to go haywire.

Reply to
JR