How much of the seats are leather?

I don't know if this is technical or not, but....

On a car like a 2000 Toyota Camry Solara, with leather seats, how much of the seats are leather? Just the tops of the seats and fronts of the backs? Just the front seats, not the rear seats?

It seems that different products are best to preserver leather from vinyl, and the seats get a lot of sunlight and even dirt and once in a while rain** since it's a convertible.

**I keep a rag and a towel in the car to wipe up the rain.
Reply to
micky

On my 1991 Chrysler NY Fifth Avenue, the pillow tops and back of the seats are leather, as are the rear seats. It is "Mark Cross" edition leather, whatever that means.

Reply to
sctvguy1

Depends on your definition of leather. None of it is actual top grain leather like you'd find in your old MG. The actual leather part is suede with a thin plastic layer on top that makes it look like top grain leather. But, it sure doesn't feel like it.

In most cases, all the seats are leather, but often the sides will be vinyl with the rest of the surface being plastified leather.

Check the owner's manual and see what Toyota recommends.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I found my leather conditioner also works well on vinyl. Lexol.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I use vinylex, Lexol's vinyl product on vinyl and plastic surfaces with very good results. On leather their leather products.

Reply to
Brent

Thanks.

I had an '84 Chrysler Lebaron that was Mark Cross. I've been looking for that guy ever since.

My seats are light tan, so I don't expect them to be very hot. I went through that with black vinyl seats a long time ago, so top color and intererior color are big factors in what I buy.

Thanks everyone. (I did read t he owners manual but iirc, it was vague.)

Reply to
micky

Are you talking about all cars here, not just Toyotas?

I had read it, but I just read it again.

All they say is use a soft cloth dampened with a 5% solution of neutral detergent for wool. Then wipe that off with a clean damp cloth. Then dry with a soft dry cloth in a ventilated shaded area.

Nothing about which parts of the seats are leather, and nothing about preserving the leather. Is the hidden message here that the leather is plactic coated so that no preservative helps? What happens when the plastic coating is old? Surely some leather preservative could get in the cracks to what's underneather.

Reply to
micky

The LHS was a pretty nice car - too bad they tended to break and fall apart. My Sonata has leather faced seats. It never gets too hot or to cold over here so they're never too hot. I don't get much chance to use the seat warmers either but I like to freak my passengers out sometimes by turning their heater on when they ain't looking. :-)

Reply to
dsi1

Not all of them. On the 7-series BMW and I think the M-class BMW you can order top grain leather as an option now. Mercedes might have a similar option. But it's a lot more expensive than the plastic leather.

Use whatever the car manufacturer recommends, because it's not really vinyl and it's not really leather, it's some of each. In a weird way.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

In message , Scott Dorsey writes