How to check trans fluid in Tiptronic Audi A6

I've got a 2002 Audi A6 FWD with the 3.0L V6. Just got the car used. How do I check the transmission fluid level in the Tiptronic? What are the signs that the transmission is on its way out? Thanks -- Gary - Atlanta

Reply to
gary_jabo

If it's like the A4s the boss keeps making me work on, there is no dipstick. The level is checked from underneath. There's a drain plug on the bottom surface of the oil pan, and a larger fill plug next to it with a short vertical tube inside. The tube is the "level checker". The engine is run (with the car on a hoist) until the transmission temperature is in a very small and specific range, then fluid is pumped into the fill hole (much like filling a diff) until it starts running out. The tube is usually surrounded by a bunch of relays and other crap, making it very difficult to get a straight hose in, so a short tip with an almost 180 degree bend works best.

Reply to
MasterBlaster