How to check auto transmission fluid

I'm still having problems checking the auto transmission fluid in my 2002 2.5L Outback. According the owner's manual it should be checked warm with the engine idling. But if I check the dipstick with the engine idling I don't get a level--there is a thin line of fluid along one side of the dipstick. If I turn the engine off I do get a level. Any explanation for this? The mechanic at the dealer says he checks the fluid with the engine turned off.

Adam

Reply to
Adam Helberg

Edward Hayes

Good engineering work? Wadya think? Beleivers!

Reply to
JustDoIt

OK I'll try your method, although I don't think I have the patience to wait "several minutes" with the engine idling. Can I ask you why the engine should be idling? What does that have to do with the transmission?

Adam

Reply to
Adam Helberg

wait "several minutes"