How to get to 54.5 MPG

According to my master plan for world domination, we'll all be driving electric cars in 2025 so this is not something that we'll have to worry about. :-)

Reply to
dsi1

I'll bet I wont ':>)

Reply to
hls

You're on! The usual bet - $1? :-)

Reply to
dsi1

They would have to do the obvious. Bypass the comfort, beauty, and power. I have yet to see dimpling employed, golf ball sized dimples, saves 10% gas. Reduce speed. Reduce space. I already get in the high 30's milage on my

2001 cavalier. It's too big and too much power. It could easily get 55 mpg.

I also have an avalanche, products the govt promoted after they stopped mandatory milage increases to bolster economy years ago.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Both my 1965 Chevys will be just fine in 2025 (even if I'm gone)

Reply to
AMuzi

What'll you be driving? Pinewood Derby car? ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

It will be done the way 55mph was achieved. Through government math. There will be some special ways to measure mpg for at least some models.

It's really the only way other than inflation making CAFE penalties pocket change.

Reply to
Brent

What do you mean "driving"? "We" won't be driving. That will be for government people of sufficent rank and the wealthy only.

Reply to
Brent

OK, we move to China then. :-)

Reply to
dsi1

I have a lifetime supply of incandescents squirreled away in the basement. Screw the government, the environmentalists, and the liberals.

Reply to
Roger Blake

My MGB got pretty damn close to that. Put a modern fuel injection system in there and it should not be a big deal.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Most likely, at my age, yes.. It will be powered by 6 attendants.

Reply to
hls

Those were cool cars. I drove a Midget a couple times ("EGADS! I can see the ROAD over my shoulder!!!!") But I always wanted a GT...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Oh, I get it now, a Pinewood Derby car.

That must be one of those new Italian sports cars! ~ Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit II. cuhulin

Reply to
J R

My (used, got it with 60K mi.) '90 Geo Metro averaged 53 mpg over 3 years and ~100K highway miles on 85 octane. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

I had two MGBs, one for 14 years, one of the most reliable cars that I have ever had. It was a 1977 model, converted to the dual side-draft SUs. It would get about 30 on the highway. The 240Z stole the GTs body style and its limited market.

Reply to
sctvguy1

Really, the 240 stole the GT's body style?! If not talking about a Ferrari, you must be kidding! Take a look at a '68 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona.

Adrian

In message , sctvguy1 writes

MG and reliable don't go together. I expect things might now improve with the new Chinese owners.

Reply to
Clive

Surprisingly, MG products from the BMC era can be reliable. Two things need to be done:

  1. Replace all electrical parts in the vehicle and that includes the crappy quality cable used. New cable harnesses with new connectors everywhere. Some relays may need to be added.
  2. Don't EVER replace any fasteners with anything not OEM. Don't even think about it. Just because it says it's a proper replacement doesn't mean it is.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey