obd reader

I can't seem to locate any obd I reader. I have a obd II connector, called the obd 1.5 , I can locate a scanner for hundreds of dollars but I don't think the car is worth that. Anybody got an old reader to part?

Greg

Reply to
gregz

You'd have to be more specific with year, make & model of vehicle. You could certainly find a used one on eBay for not a lot of money.

Reply to
SRN

I looked on eBay. There is one at advance, but not entirely certain if it will work. To try I would take two wires between active pins for the plug difference. I spent a half day researching and not finished. I understand gm ran out of connectors so they used a 16 pin. There is also another version that you can still short two pins and read ses, but I already tried that. On mine two pins are ground and signal ground.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

It would really, really help if you would give the year , make & model of your GM vehicle. So you have an OBD II connector under the dash? Are you just trying to read the old two digit codes, or do you want to buy an old scanner that does much more?

Reply to
SRN

What is the year/make/model/engine and trans of the vehicle in question?

If you do have the OBDI with OBD II subset you need a good scan tool with the correct adapter. Most of the ones that are "loaners" or at AutoZone/Advance/Kragen places WILL NOT read the codes. They can do OBD II

Most of the better pro class units can handle it though. Those just need the correct cables.

Reply to
Steve W.

gregz wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.o rg:

Year? Make? Model? Engine? California car?

Reply to
Tegger

I ordered a adlcable hookup and free software. $65

Greg

Reply to
gregz

This link shows pins 5 and 6 , but there was another version with no 6, and a 4 .

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I don't really understand why I need to give model. I said what it needs.

But again, 95 Oldsmobile 88 royal 3.8 and the car only wished to be ca.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

For the record, it's a 95 Oldsmobile 88 royal 3.8 There is a shop that claims the car was read there before and now it does not work. I'll see if I can read it. If it does not work then the computer needs replaced as I see it. The car has been running bad before a batched up manifold job.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

If you gave the model in the first place I could have saved you the money you might have wasted buying software and a connector. Because '95 was a transition year. My son has a '95 Bonneville and already jumped through these hoops. Even a 3 grand Snap-on reader wouldn't read his codes. He went to (then) O'Reillys auto parts and they gave him an Actron reader which worked fine. Free. Just required a steep deposit. Now he has his own Mac OTC, but that's about 300 bucks. Both have all needed connectors and read the codes. I don't know what the problem is saying what model you're talking about, but if that software/connector doesn't work it probably cost you. I didn't answer before because you gave no model. Still wish you luck with that software.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

I need all the help I can get. Somewhere I read if I had a regular obdi reader, I could just use two wires to interface. Too many different stories for me. I did buy a obd II reader which I thought would work with all my stuff and my sisters darn Oldsmobile. Glad my datsuns don't use them. I am tired of working on that car, and She is also tired of working on it, but just likes the car. She has been driving my cavalier. Oldsmobile had manifold work done and still wants to stall out. Been reading check engine forever. But, the epoxy I put on the air conditioner condenser leak, holding up just fine. Sure the fan only works on medium speed, but the radio works fine!

Greg

Reply to
gregz

It's a pain. My son tried about 5 different readers before he found the ones that work. Check this out.

It will tell you which Actron works - supposedly. Some of them are pretty inexpensive compared to a few years ago.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Well the Actron CP 9145 with the GM ALDL adapter Cable CP9127 will read the codes on the OPs car. But it will not read all of the data stream.

Reply to
Steve W.

gregz wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.or g:

1994 and 1995 were transitional years for OBD-II. Some automakers' models had fully-compliant OBD-II interfaces in 1994 and 1995, but some were only partially compliant, and in different ways. And many others did not receive an OBD-II interface at all until 1996.

That's why specific vehicle information is necessary.

Reply to
Tegger

All of that crap doesn't matter! OBD 1.5 uses an OBD II connector, but only has/utillizies 5 pins.

Reply to
willameena

It only takes two pins for the data stream. So far I have not been able to read the computer. I have tried a few programs. I'm fighting using old programs on my vista laptop, and using programs not designed for my specific model computer. I got another program to try.

I also changed out the computer, no change.

what a trip finding it in the junkyard. I'm sitting in a jeep going through pools of mud with a mechanic. There were outer vehicles out there looking for parts. They were junkyard vehicles they used to go out for parts looking. I thought I was in a tv special. Finally we find a Buick on the way back, no year. I see it has a computer, yes a parts match!! $35.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

To document my struggle, I will state here. Seems like most of the interest in this subject has passed. It appeared here many years ago.

Today I fixed a battery drain problem. First fuse I pulled worked. I got in the car to check things out. The drain would be 3 amps ever so often. I heard a faint click each time. I eventually traced it to the trunk. Antenna control! Probably bad contacts, it's rusted. I guess this would be a common problem after all these years. By the way my profession was electronic technician.

Back to obd. I have another version of the mess, has 6 wires in the connector. The other wires for radio data stream and lock programming. My last attempt, can't find a program that was posted long ago.

The big problem was the intake manifold. I saw it run ruff on low rpm. It might still be a problem. I drove the car. I stepped on the gas and it would intermittently cut out, like either the gas or spark would want to cut off. I also heard like pinging on a hill. I want to insert a gas pressure gauge.

By the way, it's my sisters POS car. It was a nice car and she likes it still.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Sort of for the same reason a doctor needs to know if he's dealing with a boy or girl before he does a prostate exam or a hysterectormy.

Reply to
micky