Chevy Engine shakeup...

we got smart dealers and car builders these days...

bob

Reply to
bob urz

vibration plus low oil pressure should have been the clues they needed...

Reply to
jim beam

No offense, but which days might those be? Other than Impala, first introduced in '58, oddly no other details of any kind (who, when, where, vehicle year or age, engine type, dealer ID ...) are provided so that this wholly unverifiable story, although possibly true (although unlikely in that no one would have advised pulling the pan to check the pump or mains after verifying a low system pressure), comprises all of the elements of an apocryphal, urban myth directed at the gullible and intended to further the Made by Monkeys blog's agenda of besmirching the reputation of the blue collar worker.

Reply to
Heron

clearly you didn't read the comments below the article.

as for your, um, "defense" of what you presumptively call "blue collars", you do a damned good job of talking down to everybody else, so that's at best an ironic statement.

Reply to
jim beam

"These days"? The author said it was an approximately 1970 Chevy, about 6 months old.

Another comment mentioned that many years later, Sun Electric had later off ered GM an engine test system that would always detect missing bearings:

William K. 5/11/2012 11:36:49 PM

In about 1979 I designed a system at Sun Electric, for installation on engi ne test stands as part of the new engine hot test system, that examined amp litudes of engine vibration at the crank, canshaft, and firing frequencies. It was determined that the system would detect any missing bearing part in the V-8 engine 100% of the time. The customer declined to purchase this op tion, even though it did work very well and was both reliable and not very expensive. A missing bearing half is a fault that gets very expensive to re pair as soon as the engine is installed, but the claim was that it was so r are that there was no economy in checking for it. Go Figure."

Reply to
larrymoencurly

>> we got smart dealers and car builders these days... bob >

sure - these guys will pursue a savings of just a few $k, even on a production run of millions.

fact is, you're looking at the technical aspect. they're only looking at the financial aspect. most of the time, flaws like the above are going to be discovered out of warranty and thus a sales opportunity, not a cost. absolutely no need to pass /that/ by with your pesky machine.

Reply to
jim beam

Now I know you've never worked on cars for a living. This is the stupidest thing I've read on usenet possibly ever. Or you're just a troll like everyone else seems to think.

Reply to
Bill Vanek

What is also missing is an understanding of quality systems. End of line testing is old fashioned quality control. Proper quality assurance would mean that the problem doesn't happen in the first place and thus no end of line test for it is required.

A factory that uses quality assurance wouldn't need as extensive (if any) end of line testing as one that uses only quality control.

Reply to
Brent

a few suggestions:

  1. don't snip context
  2. read the last two posts again.
  3. read the op's cite.

the flaw wasn't discovered until the crank broke. i've seen this exact breakage in real life. low oil pressure at idle. excess vibration at certain rpms. failure to diagnose. crank eventually broke out of warranty. manufacturer wouldn't cover it, even though the missing bearing was clearly their mistake.

Reply to
jim beam

except for when they get an omission like the op's cite...

bottom line, this is about economics. just like when a manufacturer decides it's cheaper to pay the families of the deceased than it is to do a recall when shipping a vehicle with a known fatal defect.

Reply to
jim beam

Manufacturers sometimes do there best to deny there is any issue at all until there caught with there hand in the cookie jar by the government.

I had a gen 2 Taurus once that had broken subframe mounts due to rust/fatigue issues/. I found out there was a secret recall on this issue in supposedly 9 high salt states (not NE). Called ford, TOTAL denial of ANY issue. Total denial of any recall. Thank you for calling.

Only latter did they expand the recall and admit there was a issue.

The Escape has sure been beat up lately with recalls...

bob

Reply to
bob urz

a gen > 2 Taurus once that had broken subframe mounts due to rust/fatigue issues/. I

Most companies have a policy of denying everything unless the customer uses the company's exact terminology for the secret warranty, something like "s ervice campaign", "special consideration", or "policy adjustment", but some times it's enough to know the technical service bulletin number that applie s to the defect. I don't know if it still exists, but there was a newslett er called Lemon Times that listed secret warranties for vehicles.

About a decade ago, a Ford memo leaked out that said they don't like to pro vide free out-of-warranty repairs on cars with more than about 60,000 miles on them.

Reply to
larrymoencurly

Old fashioned quality control has far more defects getting out the door than quality assurance.

Of course it is. Quality assurance is less expensive and works better.

Not surprising you believe that myth.

The life to money calculation was something the federal government came up with and required with regard to something else.

Reply to
Brent

Your automotive "experience" has no connection to real life.

Reply to
Bill Vanek

i don't think there was any "leakage" on that mileage policy - i think it was rolled out the front door with lights on and horns blaring.

Reply to
jim beam

no, it was something robert s mcnamara came up with while bombing japan. then he went to work for frod and used it there [where it got tattooed into the management culture like the tramp stamp on the rear end of a playboy bunny]. then he went to work for the federal govt, then the world bank. so, the feds jumped on it and adopted it, but they didn't originate it.

but what kind of ignorance statement would we expect from a stalking retard?

Reply to
jim beam

???? I think this example never happened. No bearing, lasting until minimum 12 month or 12,000 miles? Not gonna happen. Ever. Never. No engine will last that long missing a bearing. If it even ran without self destructing in the first few minutes, it could only have been missing a main bearing. No rod bearing would self destruct immediately. And then only missing a lower half main, because if the upper half was gone, ZERO oil pressure. Then the bottom half would spin, and self destruct the engine anyways. I do not know of any automobile engine built in the last 3 decades, that did not feed oil to each main individually.

Reply to
Steve Walker

but these things can and do happen. that's why larrymoencurly build and tried to sell his machine to detect such omissions. and they can last for some time. motors with shot main bearings can last a surprising time with very little other than a rumbling complaining noise.

one main bearing is a whole lot different to a single rod bearing - what you're probably more familiar with. the engine i saw was a triumph straight 6. no middle bearing. the rest of the crank was stiff enough to "bridge" its absence under light/moderate load, but the symptoms were exactly as described, and the end result identical.

Reply to
jim beam

Even when led to a clue you're still ignorant.

Stop projecting your behavior on me.

Reply to
Brent

you're a peach b[r]ent. i know it's much too much to expect you to take an interest in historical figures, much less learn facts about their past and their influence, but if you don't know something, just leave it alone, don't bullshit.

no projection retard, just a reflection - you're seeing and fighting yourself.

Reply to
jim beam