how to recognize the "turn" of the vehicle?

I have several data streams about the running vehicle: vehicle speed engine speed Manifold Absolute Pressure OS2 sensor data engine load Short Term Fuel Trim Bank Throttle Position Angle Ignition Timing Advance(Deg) intake air etc.

However, I don't have data about steering. I was just wondering if I can recognize the "turn (left/right turn)" of the vechicle from the above data. That is, what feature is most relevant to the "turn" of the vechicle other than the steering angle/speed.

Reply to
roy

You could gather wheel sensor data from the ABS sensor and use geometry to calculate.

Reply to
bobby

| | |roy wrote: |> |> I have several data streams about the running vehicle: |> vehicle speed |> engine speed |> Manifold Absolute Pressure |> OS2 sensor data |> engine load |> Short Term Fuel Trim Bank |> Throttle Position Angle |> Ignition Timing Advance(Deg) |> intake air |> etc. |> |> However, I don't have data about steering. |> I was just wondering if I can recognize the "turn (left/right turn)" |> of the vechicle from the above data. That is, what feature is most |> relevant to the "turn" of the vechicle |> other than the steering angle/speed. | |You could gather wheel sensor data from the ABS sensor and use geometry to |calculate.

Lateral G-load ?

The answer depends on what you are going to use the data for. Do you need to be able to turn in a given radius, or at maximum speed, or ? Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Interesting.. I was considering the same for a smart motorcycle turn signal canceller, one that would even cancel after a lane change (Ues, I signal for lane changes.) =20 The best I could come up with was a solid state gyro, one based on MEMS technology, to sense motion in the roll axis of the bike, which is necessary for any turning action. =20

You could do the same in a car, by using a rate gyro to sense yaw motions. A sustained rotational event in one direction would signify a turn in progress, while a lane change would show up as a small change in one direction, followed by an equal one in the other. =20 Still, this might not work for "drifters" whose lane changing activity is barely discernable from falling asleep at the wheel..

To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@" Spammers are vermin. Please kill them.

Reply to
Doug Warner

In racing data acquisition systems, two common inputs are lateral g-load and steering angle. Either are readily available. Check with Advantage Motorsports for a cost-effective solution. Also, if there is a good local go-kart racing shop near you, those guys do a lot with data acquisition for not much money. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B