How to use starter fluid on fuel injection.

A starter fluid, smells like ether or alcohol, is sprayed inside the throttle body in sync with a cranking in hopes of starting a no-start
car. It will not start. When the car lost a an alternator belt we drove it to point of automatic shutdown. It will not start afterwards. We took out the spark plugs and spray starter fluid into spark plug hole and when we go to crank, engine turns slooowly. What is the correct way to use a starter fluid?
Tibur -1994 Mitsubishi Eagle Eclipse. See old story http://tinyurl.com/2jemn

it
Use it on a diesel engine....

You should not need any starting fluid. You could even damage some components by using it. Why does the engine turn slowly? Is the battery fully recharged? Does the battery have sufficient capacity left? If the voltage drops down much when cranking, the electronics will not provide a spark. You already found out that the engine quit when the battery voltage dropped low enough. I hope the alternator belt was not also powering the water pump which could have added more problems. Make sure of the battery power first and it should start on its own.

Yes, it powers the pump and notice it overheats. Don't know if it's the head gasket or the battery that made the car quit.

The battery works fine but when the starter fluid is sprayed into the cylinders thru the plug holes, it cranks slowly or not at all. I need to recharge the battery.
This car has mass air flow sensor then spraying these fluids in on them will destroy them? I have put it in after the sensor but don't how much got on the sensor. Tibur
In article
[snip]

Great googly-moogly, why on earth would you be spraying starter fluid into the cylinders thru the sparkplug holes? That stuff is ether, ya know the stuff you knocked out fruit flies with in high school biology? No shit the engine cranks slower when you spray it in the cylinders, you're washing all of the lubrication off of the cylinder walls.

If you're lucky, someone will come along and take that can of ether away from you before you do more damage or burn yourself to a cinder.
says...

Fix the car first, then leave the starter fluid in the garage. That is the proper way. Starter fluid is not going to start a car that is not functioning properly. You have a problem that needs attention. Once that is fixed, you probably won't need starter fluid. ------------- Alex
On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 09:19:23 GMT, "Tibur Waltson"

That alternator belt didn't alsso drive the water pump by any chance? If so, the automatic shutdown may have been seizure in which case your engine is toast under the conditions you describe. If the belt only drives the alternator, you need to charge the battery for a while until it is fully charged. Keep in mind that some batteries that are already weakened with age will not recharge sufficiently to be of any use to you. Lastly, GET RID OF THE STARTING FLUID BEFORE YOU REALLY F**K THINGS UP OR HURT YOURSELF!!!!!! EFI GAS ENGINES DO NOT NEED IT IF THEY ARE GETTING ENOUGH GAS TO RUN. You can destroy the engine with it including making projectiles of small fragments of intake manifold. Your battery may not be strong enough to run the fuel pump and engine electronics.

Thanks. Found the problem. I walk down to the store and pick up a compression gauge. I hook it up and find 25 - 0 - 30 - 125 psi. It should be178. You're right about the engine being toast. The head gasket is blown. Or did the low compression occur from washing all of the lubrication off of the cylinder walls as Neil Nelson pointed out?
Yes, the belt powers the pump and notice it overheats. I think I'd lucked out and escape injury from the intake explosion. Thank you and others suggesting. Tibur