ignition switch

90 acclaim 2.5L---I need to replace the ignition switch, there seems to be three tamper-proof screws, that I need to remove. I just wondered if anybody had an easy way to remove these without damaging anything, too much? I thought about using a left-hand drill bit on them, but I don't know? The head of the screws has an allen-head socket, but there is a center raised point in the socket that keeps me from using an allen wrench. It looks like either buy the special wrench, that I'll never use again or try to drill them out. I can't see another way? Any thoughts? thanks
Reply to
jd

I have seen security torx (what these are) bit sets available in parts houses and even at Radio Shack, I think. They're not expensive and allow you to reuse the proper screws at assembly time.

Hope this helps - Paul in Dayton

Reply to
F&P

You can goto just about any place that sells tools and get a "Security" bit for your screwdriver or take a small center punch and break off the little bit that is sticking up. I have also seen someone with a small grinder bit on a dremel cut the bit that is sticking up out of the middle.

~Brian

Reply to
<not

Thanks for the replys. I did some grinding on a small hobby screwdriver, it worked, I got them loose, they weren't very tight. I haven't taken the switch out, yet,I'm still driving the vehicle. I use a jumper-wire on the starter relay to start the vehicle. Actually, I'm not sure if it is the ignition switch or cylinder-lock, that is causing problems. When the key is turned to the crank position, it doesn't rebound to the run position, that makes me think it is the cylinder-lock, right? On the circuit that energizes the starter-relay, it shows maybe 1 or 2/100s of a volt, with the key in the crank position, so that makes me wonder about the ignition switch? I'm not sure which. thanks

Reply to
jd