In the ten year-ish cars, do you think Non-turbo Supra would be less of a headache vs. the Turbo?

Well, I had a pickup that made three figures before it died...but of course it was used and the odometer had rolled over at least three times that the previous owner knew about, and he knew that he was at least the third owner.

I prefer to shoot for at least the high sixes.

Reply to
kd5nrh

I would not recommend a Turbo-Charged Engine. Personally, I feel there will be times when you turn off the engine immediately by mistake without letting the turbo's cool down and you will run into a costly repair. The fact that there may be a safety blower that stays on after the engine goes off is a good sign, but unless there is a backup system to that, forget it.

Howard Epste> "DervMan" wrote:

Reply to
Howard Epstein

But thats not as important on modern engines with oil coolers etc - besides, you could always get a turbo timer :)

Reply to
Dan405

Why ?

Instant damage will only occur (very rarely) if the Turbos are *STUPIDLY* hot (ie, GLOWING red) when you turn off the engine. You'll have taken it easy in the last 5 minutes of you journey, so this never happens.

Eh ?

99.9% of Turbo cars have no safety blower, and no backup, with no problems whatsoever.
Reply to
Nom

Afterrun water pumps, Audi turbos..twenty years ago!

Reply to
Stephen Bigelow

Bit of an over-reaction, but hey - more turbo cars for the rest of us who aren't scared of going out of the front door in a morning :)

-- Lordy

Reply to
Lordy

Yep. As I said, 99.9% of Turbo cars have no safety blower, and no backup, with no problems whatsoever :)

Reply to
Nom

I'm onto my second turbo car, it's a *cough* diesel *cough* and isn't exactly highly strung and I've had no turbo problems on either. My older Xantia has done 150k miles on the original turbo and will probably do a lot more.

-- James

Reply to
James

Seconded. The only steps I take with my current Turbo car, are to take it easy in the last 5 minutes of my journey - giving both the brakes and the turbo some time to cool, so they're not scalding hot when I power off.

Reply to
Nom