how to remove crankshaft timing gear?

i got the timing chain cover off, removed the camshaft sprocket and timing chain but the small sprocket/gear that's on the crankshaft doesn't just slide off like the camshaft sprocket did. am I supposed to use some type of special puller or will any 2 jaw puller that can fit over it do the job? this thing is stuck on there hard.

I was wondering since there is no bolt that fastens down on top of this sprocket, like there is with the camshaft sprocket, what is it that keeps the small crankshaft gear from simply sliding off the shaft out of position.

the car is an intrepid.

Reply to
roger

Anthony Diodati

Can't do that. Gotta have it off.

Reply to
roger

Might try cracking the gear with a chisel down in the root of the gear teeth. Risk of damaging the bearings that way, though. I only do it on engines that are getting totally rebuild.

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan

There are pullers available. If the engine is still in the car, you may have to pull the radiator to have enough room to use them

Reply to
HLS

Sometimes such sprockets can be tight either because of production tolerances or them having rusted into place. Try two big screwdrivers or small pry bars using pressure evenly on both sides of the sprocket. If you try levering on one side only it'll just twist and not want to move. If that doesn't work then two people might have more luck. One to apply pressure with the screwdrivers and then while that's on try hitting the end of the crank nose with a copper or hide mallet. The shock can often work the sprocket loose. Failing everything you'll have to get a suitable puller.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

|roger wrote: |> |> Anthony Diodati wrote: |> |> > might try a little heat on the crankshaft sprocket. |> > If you cant get it off, and are just replacing the chain, just reuse the |> > old one. |> > Tony D. |> >

I agree, although you can minimize damage by chiseling from the 3:00r 9:00 direction. You will be surprised how easy it is to bust off. Also, if you are able to score it with the chisel with one or two hits, see if it won't slide off before you contue chiseling. Often the first "nick" will spread the collar enough to lessen the grip.

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B