1995 Z28 Camaro does not drive in 'D' (auto tranny)

1995 z28, V8, 150k miles, auto tranny

Driving home after work, stopped for gas, then pulled out and accelerated, not aggressively (yet slightly spirited) heard a hard "clunk" coming from the tranny (when shifting from 1-2) and immediately (it has 1-2-d-D) lost forward movement.

Checked the fluid today, thinking it was so low on fluid that possibly the torque converter wasnt doing it's job. The fluid level was 1 (one) quart low. Anyway, here's some test feedback:

  • R(everse) - backs up fine - no hesitation from the tranny. Shifts right into R and backs up.
  • 1 - pushes forward fine, no hesitation from the tranny. Shifts right into 1 no hesitation and pushes forward.
  • 2 - pushes forward fine, no hesitation from tranny. From standing start, pushes forward/shifts from 1st -> 2nd with no issues.
  • d - no forward movement from standing start. However, if I start with 1st, then to 2nd (or start in 2nd) and get above 20-25, then shift into 'd', it will shift into 'd' (3rd?), but when the car gets below 20 MPH, it "slips" and there is no forward movement, yet engine revs.
  • D - no forward movement whatsoever. Can't manually shift through the gears up to any speed and get the car to shift into 'D' (4th?)

Any ideas or suggestions?

Reply to
calder.cay

schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@k2g2000hse.googlegroups.com...

Is it between minimal and maximal level and how warm when check? How color and smell of ATF, smells it like burnt?

Regards,

Ralf

Reply to
Ralf Ballis

I'm going to guess one of the over-running (one way) clutch's broke. When you put it in 1 or 2 it has additional clutches to lock things together so it can't "over-run" in order to provide engine braking. I don't think you will be able to fix it without a complete rebuild.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher